CAN I PAINT ONTO MDF WITHOUT SANDING?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by bobrob, Aug 20, 2015.

1. bobrob

bobrob New Member

I have some wardrobes that are a beach wood colour (smooth finish) that I would like to paint white.

I've never painted a wardrobe before, so I don't know much.

I had intended on purchasing some acrylic primer & then just to slap some paint on. Is that the right way to go about it ? Or is it a must that it's all sanded down first?

If I can avoid the whole sanding thing I'd like to but not if its going to compromise the finished outcome of the job.

So all I'm asking here is, can I paint onto a MDF wardrobe without sanding it down first?

Thank you

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Simply answer yes you can.

But how will it look???, who knows, all depends on smooth it is now and will the paint go over what ever varnish there is on it at the mo.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You will first need to prime the surface first with a high adhesion primer use Zinsser Bullseye 123 available from our hosts, When this has dried you can paint over any paint you want but I wound go for Dulux Diamond quick drying satin or eggshell finish applied by a mohair roller and laid off with a good quality synthetic brush. You say beech wood colour so I am assuming you want to paint over a plastic finish.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You must be having a blinder of a holiday Phil:D

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Waiting for misses to get ready, you know what its like, got all day. :D:D

6. Bobrob, you won't actually be painting on to MDF but the beech 'foil' covering on it which is very likely to be melamine.

Melamine was designed to be tough, hard-wearing and to shrug off stains. So ain't the best surface to paint straight on to - you would be able to cleanly remove most paints from it using chust your fingernails.

Which is why Zin 123 as mentioned above is pretty much essential for a reliable job.

7. bobrob

bobrob New Member

B&Q is the easiest place for me to get to. Is Zinsser Bullseye 123 also available from them?

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No idea, check online!

9. Boolay

Boolay Member

ESP seems to work, must admit I haven't used it on larger furniture though