Can I put pebbles on aco drain?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Diynoclue, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Diynoclue

Diynoclue New Member

Hello, I would really appreciate any advice. We are planning a new patio, next to bifold doors and to be as level with threshold as possible.
    We have a slot drain ready to put in but the person we have got to fit it said it was no good as it's too thin to collect water and has instead put in a 4 inch aco drain. I was hoping not have have such a wide gap between the house and patio but he said we could just put pebbles over the drain to hide it and make it a feature (it runs the length of the whole back of the house, not just outside the bifold).
    Does this sound sensible?
    Is a slot drain inadequate?
    Is it ok to cover the aco with pebbles (which seems to be a French drain/aco combo).
    Help!
    Thank you

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your person is an idiot,doesn't know the product, there is nothing wrong with HexDrain Brickslot, does it's job well, with a 10mm slot it will typically will drain around 180sqm.

Nothing wrong covering, as it's only grille & not channel it self.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Be sensible with the sizes of pebbles, if it's been install correctly, you should be ok, you don't say whether grill is plastic or metal.

4. Diynoclue

Diynoclue New Member

Thank you for replies, much appreciated! The drain is plastic. I'll try uploading a pic.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. Diynoclue

Diynoclue New Member

7. Diynoclue

Diynoclue New Member

Thank you

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Echo Kiab comments, slot drains are used extensively in paved areas in town centres without any problem. You have probably walked over them without even noticing.

However, Aco drains must be installed 3mm below the surface of the slab and be embedded in concrete. If you fit chippings on the top they will be in a mound, which won't look good. Additionally you must keep everything 150mm below the damp proof course which should be the underside of the cill on your bi fold doors

upload_2017-4-1_0-12-54.png