Can I self certify my work?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by jase17uk, Aug 15, 2007.

1. jase17uk

jase17uk New Member

As I hold (just completed)

NVQ 2 Performing Engineering Operations Electrical Installation
    C&G 2381 IEE Wiring Regulations 16th Edition
    C&G 2330 Certificate In Electrotechnical Technology

will i be able to self certify all of my work or I will need to do C&G 2391 Inspection Testing & Certification of Electrical Installations before I could self certify my work? Or I will need to join one of the schemes such as NAPIT or NEICC to allow me to carry out works and self certify?

Thanks

2. You need to join one of the scams mate!

3. T482 

T482  New Member

> You need to join one of the scams mate!

you know all about it

4. Indeed i do halfwit!

5. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

Indeed i do halfwit!

He won't have an answer to that gem ;)

6. Squarewave

Squarewave New Member

You need to join one of the scams mate!

No you don't. You can certify your own work. Having the qualifications he has, he is competent to fill out an electrical installation certificate for his installation.

Strve likes this.
  7. Hi guys,

just a quick one for you...

what's this qualification involve?
    NVQ 2 Performing Engineering Operations Electrical Installation

Being lazy as i haven't googled it!

I'm onto my last year of the 2330, and will be doing the 2381 (or whatever they change it to next year) - is the above required in addition, or will the level 3 2330 and the 2381 suffice?

Cheers lads/lasses

8. jase17uk

jase17uk New Member

It's fine, you'll be able to do electrical work with the certifcates you hold... That NVQ L2 is more of mechanical side of electrical work such as conduits, trays and trucking etc suitable for factories where conduits and trucking is mostly used.

9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The ONLY way, the ONE AND ONLY WAY to self certify your own work is to be a member of a Part P registered body.

10. Squarewave

Squarewave New Member

The ONLY way, the ONE AND ONLY WAY to self
    certify
    your own work is to be a member of a Part
    P registered body.

Wrong.

A competent person can certify their own work.

Part P, is a building regulation of which would mean notifiable work needs to be notified, as well as installed of course to the current standards.

You need not be registered to notify or fill out your own Electrical Installation Certificate.

11. T482 

T482  New Member

I've already told you once before

the correct word is Coulomb..old sprout

gettit right!

12. admin8

admin8 New Member

I've already told you once before

the correct word is Coulomb..old sprout

gettit right!

STOP IT BOY..

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The ONLY way, the ONE AND ONLY WAY to self
    certify
    your own work is to be a member of a
    Part
    P registered body.

Wrong.

A competent person can certify their own work.

Part P, is a building regulation of which would mean
    notifiable work needs to be notified, as well as
    installed of course to the current standards.

You need not be registered to notify or fill out your
    own Electrical Installation Certificate.

Anyone can fill in an EIC or MWC but to prove compliance with building regulation, ie to self certify, you must belong to a registered part p body.

Nothing else will do.

14. Squarewave

Squarewave New Member

to prove
    compliance with building regulation, ie to self
    certify
    , you must belong to a registered part p
    body.

Nothing else will do.

Not true. Compliance shall be met if building control are notified.

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

to prove
    compliance with building regulation, ie to self
    certify
    , you must belong to a registered part
    p
    body.

Nothing else will do.

Not true. Compliance shall be met if building control
    are notified.

But that's not self certifying work. That is building control certifying the work.

There is a major difference between the two routes to certifying work. I really can't understand why you don't seem to be able to comprehend something that is so simple.

16. sparky67

sparky67 New Member

part p is for special locations only e.g. bathrooms and kitchens.
    you can get your work certified by the local authority.

17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

> part p is for special locations only e.g. bathrooms
    and kitchens.
    you can get your work certified by the local
    authority.

No it's not.

18. bobedda

bobedda New Member

jase, what's involved in the performing engineering operations course? i'm starting a maintenance job and they want me to do that course. is there much electrical in it? cheers, bob

19. Robsparky

Robsparky New Member

This arguement crops up time and time again, and will continue to do so as long as grey areas exist in the legislation.
    If you interpret the law literally and accurately, then coloumb is right. However, having spoke to people at various councils, i was told this.
    Part p was not really aimed at fully qualified electricians, it was meant for people in the building trade who conduct electrical work as part of their trade, ie kitchen fitters, plumbers etc. These are the people who would really be in trouble if they did not have part p and did not notify. They purely want to remove the anonymity from the job and put someones name to the electrical work (and charge you for the pleasure).
    If a qualified electrician with 2391, but no part p were to do work in a domestic dwelling, provide an installation certificate for the customer and the council building control, there is unlikely to be an issue. I have not heard of anyone yet having a problem doing this - always the same though till something goes wrong. Hope this help jase.

20. The Electrical Yoda

The Electrical Yoda New Member

jase, what's involved in the performing engineering
    operations course? i'm starting a maintenance job and
    they want me to do that course. is there much
    electrical in it? cheers, bob

A PEO is just an NVQ and as with all NVQ's it's not a course, it does not teach anything, it simply assesses and certifies the skills and knowledge you already have.

Usually colleges and employers get funding for agreeing to put their employees through these meaningless qualifications, PEO's are also built into some apprenticeship frameworks.

The fact that most have not heard of the PEO shows what use it would be when applying for work.

Any NVQ below level three is of no benefit what so ever and a level three ain't worth much.

Colleges have developed productions lines knocking out NVQ's by the shed load and making a mint, I know of some assessors signing off 100 per month and if you know anything about NVQs then you know that this is impossible to do 'honestly'. The powers that be have even introduced a 10 week minimum time to complete an NVQ in the attempt to stop this type of institutional cheating.

Yoda :'(