Can I temporarily insulate a conservatory roof?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tonynoarm, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Wendy1970

Wendy1970 New Member

We completed our roof a few months ago and although all went well could I ask anyone who's done it using upvc cladding what they used for the joins as we have tried loads of things but after time they fall off we believe it's to do with the heat softening the adhesive. We have tried using silicone, double sided tape superglue but all have eventually come off.
  2. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Well-Known Member

Hi Wendy.

What gap are you trying to cover? Have you tried the self-adhesive beading you get for the backs of worktops and baths? A rolled up plastic strip with a fold along its middle, and self-sticking.

If that doesn't work, I think this will:

(I should have shares...)
  3. Wendy1970

Wendy1970 New Member

Thanks devils advocate. Trying to cover the 3 joins that's are along the front and at top where the corners are, pic attached. Yeah we tried the bath sealant on a roll and was perfect as as you say folds in the middle. Held up for a few weeks then started to come off. So tried sticking it back up with all kinds of glue. Was thinking that it was the heat that was softening the glue making it fall off.

Attached Files:

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Well-Known Member

Who didn't work it out so the joints would be inline.:rolleyes:
  5. Wendy1970

Wendy1970 New Member

Yeah we couldn't remedy that. We tried all ways buts gave up. It's still been so much better in the warm weather we can actually sit in there without getting over heated. Just gotta wait until winter to see how well it keeps the heat in.
  6. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Well-Known Member

So you still have all these strips ready cut to size and mitred? Cool - re-use them, with thin beads of that Stixall either side of the self-adhesive bands.

Seriously, that stuff is very impressive - and very heat resistant. Stick the strips back up, and wipe along the edges with a cloth to remove any excess that's been squeezed out.

Job's a jobbie.

Most likely...