can i tile directly on to thermalite block

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by vaslam, Jun 28, 2015.

1. vaslam

vaslam New Member

Hi,
    can i tile directly on to thermolite block, this is a bathroom, someone told me if i use a good tanking i would able to tile directly.
    answers will be appreciated.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Possibly, never done it myself but thermalites are quite powdery, so you'd need to prime. What type of tiles are you planning to fit? The other problem is that the surface is unlikely to be particularly flat. Are all 4 walls blocks and is it to be completely tiled? How big etc?

3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

i would use hardibacker for waterproof and flatness. isnt expensive and tile directly to that

CGN and plumber-boy like this.
  4. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Yes I agree with fats.;)

FatHands likes this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Agree...just wanted to get the whole picture :)

plumber-boy and FatHands like this.
  6. vaslam

vaslam New Member

Hi,
    thanks for ur responses, this is a basement & all 4 walls are block wall. Please see attached pic. All walls will be tiled top to bottom. I was thinking to use Aqua panels on the wall & Moisture plaster boards on the cieling, but then I ws sugested to me tiling directly on the block wall after using delta tanking will be ok.
    trying the best way cost effective solution.

Attached Files:

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Steam room, Sauna, I'd be incline to use tile board, don't think relaying on the blocks for maximum grip would be wise.

8. vaslam

vaslam New Member

wat abt if I plaster & then tile the wall??

9. vaslam

vaslam New Member

I need an answer to my last question please, is ther anyone??

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Best thing is, especially as you are investing a lot of money is to do it properly. Unfortunately, you do not necessarily see anything different/beneficial for your money with fitting tile backer of even just PB and skim compared to the hardware you install after.

A house is only as good as its foundation (without sounding too condescending :))