Can I use a macerator alone or do I neeed a pump as well?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dave Culley, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Dave Culley

Dave Culley New Member

I'm building a mancave at the bottom of my garden and I want to install a toilet.
    I have buried a 32mm pipe 2ft underground that leads to the mancave, the other end is connected to the main house drain where the soil stack connects anyway.
    My problem is distance and height
    The run is nearly 100ft and my garden slopes downwards, so the discharge from the macerator would need to run round a couple of 90 degree bends, drops down to around 1m underground, then gradually rises through the garden. The total rise is probably 1.5m until it hits the drain.

I also want to drain a small sink into the macerator.

Will a standalone macerator do this or would I need an additional water pump of some sorts?

How can I minimise the build-up of slurry in the low point of the drain?

Thanks in advance!

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

As you are doing sub terranian soils you will need to inform your local building control and have it inspected and tested stage by stage. Pain in the rear but it prevents potential contamination issues.

3. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Don't think a macerator will handle that. Normally they will pump vertically about 3m but straight from the unit, into 32 or 40mm pipe on a gentle slope to the drain. I don't know the volume of 100ft x 32mm pipe but I guess the macerator would just run and run and never shift it.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your in the S***!:eek:

I reckon your gone to have problems pushing S*** uphill, despite some claiming some macerators can handle about 5.5m vertically and 60m horizontally, but every bend in your pipework reduce the distance by 0.5 mtrs on average.

And the macarator won't run long enough to clean poo from pipe, so each time you use it, it's will just back up I supect.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Also you need to look at Building Regs Drainage & Waste deposal H.

http://www.drainage-systems-online.co.uk/acatalog/BR2010.pdf

Your nearly looking at a small sewage pumping station, due to distance & rise.
    Most small one will handle around 10m vertical - upto 180m horizontal, most have a float switch,so when the tank fils to a certain level, it will automatically empty & pump to the main drain.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    I think you will need to think 'outside the box'

The pump will lift the products, a couple meters vertically and then need a gental fall to the soil system.

How about laying a 4" pipe with a fall back to the drain, and disguise the vertical pipe as a tree or large bush?

Regards
    Peter

7. Dave Culley

Dave Culley New Member

I didn't realise this was going to be such an issue - it was meant to be fairly straightforwards!

Ok thanks for the comments guys, back to the drawing board I guess!

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No drain anywhere else you could connect to closer, with permission?

9. Dave Culley

Dave Culley New Member

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wouldn't need a Saniflow unit as pumptec has 110mm inlet, so could run 110mm stack, from shack straight into unit.

11. Dave Culley

Dave Culley New Member

And would that have enough power??

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Usually pumping stations have a holding tank, which empty, around every 24 hours, not sure if this time setting is adjustable though.
    The micro type vary in size from around 80ltrs to 190lts capacity.

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Earth closet cheaper.:D

15. Dave Culley

Dave Culley New Member

Thanks for the (sensible) replies!