Can I use Zinnser BIN on new MDF as primer

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by diy_nixy, Sep 9, 2015.

1. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Can I use Zinnser BIN on new MDF? Then plan to topcoat with Dulux satin wood paint.

This one from screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-b-i-n-shellac-based-primer-white-1ltr/29661.

I made some panelled doors with MDF, light sand with 240 Grit.

Or do I need a special MDF primer? Or some other method of priming (e.g watered emulsion, diluted PVA)?

I'm suggesting Zinnser BIN as I have 90% of can left over from last week which I used for stain blocking damp wall stain. Dont want to throw it away.

Thanks

2. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

I can't see why it wouldn't! I know this one is bought generally for stain and knotting but its an excellent primer with great adhesion and if its a case of already having that in then it saves you buying more. It will do the job.
    For something the size of a door be careful though coz this stuff is so fast drying :eek:
    I normally transfer just what I'm going to use in a short while into a separate pot and then get the lid closed up on the paint. If I'm dawdling I normally end up having to thin what I'm using before I reach the end :rolleyes:
    If using a brush make sure its synthetic and a good one! It makes all the difference.
    This stuff rolls on nicely too but be quick and even :D
    Hope this helps.
    Might be an idea to check for further comments on here tonight though coz I'm a newbie :oops: look out for the names astramax, handy Andy, diy Dave and Devils advocate. They are on here most nights and are far more expert, they have been on here many many years.

3. miss pickle

P.s never throw zinnser paint away:eek: :D its expensive stuff and if stored correctly it will last.
    If you are left with a decent amount of it and you are sure you will have no future use for it then put an advert in the local shop and at the right price it will be sold and gone within a few days :) its very popular stuff.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is the satin wood an oil based or water base?

5. miss pickle

Oh yeah :D that too.
    D'oh sorry astra :( I have absolutely no idea why I presumed it would be oil satin.
    Damn :cool:

6. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

The new paint will be oil based - Dulux satinwood.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You will be fine to use B I N as the primer.

miss pickle likes this.
  8. miss pickle

smiley-dance001.gif

9. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Thanks all for your replies. Pics of my bifold doors I'm making too.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. miss pickle

Very nice! Good work :):):)

11. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Hello, I have another question.

Do I only need 1 coat of zinsser primer?
    Should I give a light sand (e.g 240 grit) to the MDF after 1st coat of primer, then apply top coat of satin wood paint? Or go straight to top coat without sanding primer?

pic of 1st coat primer

[​IMG]

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, go over with a fine abrasive to remove the nibs the apply your satin sanding again between coats , may require 3 coats being first time painted though.