Can someone give me some advice on the best way to fix a bedroom door frame that's loose on one side

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by lemonade, Jul 30, 2015.

1. lemonade

lemonade Member

Can someone give me some advice on the best way to fix a bedroom door frame that's loose on one side.

I got two doors close to each other and the plaster have cracked and I thought it was due to old plaster and the bedroom door being slammed but when I checked the door frame it's moving slightly on the door handle side. I've removed the plaster and you can see the door frame have been nailed on but where they have nailed into the block wall it have cracked the block so nothing was holding the nails apart from the plaster.
    Looking at the block I don't think it's strong enough to drill into so I was thinking of wedging the door frame and putting gripfill around the nail and block then remove the architrave and filling in between the frame and block with gripfill.

Attached Files:

2. The right solution is, I guess, to drill through fresh securing holes, right into the blocks - perhaps thre on that side, spaced evenly, but aiming to get in to the middle of each block.

Then plug and screw.

However, the easier and possibly more sensible idea is to use adhesive as you say :)

Only issues are, if the surfaces are dusty, the adhesive won't stick properly. I think I'd be tempted to user a good quality solvent-free (water-based) adhesive so's you can vacuum away any dust and then brush it down with a wet brush before adding the adhesive (even when it's still damp).

I'd also inject the adhesive in between these broken-off brick pieces.

It will need leaving a very good while, tho', (days) to allow it to set. And don't let the frame move as it does.

Akshully, I thinks there's better adhesives to use these days - 'expanding' foam types I've read about on here. Or the PU wood adhesives which foam up when brushed on. These would give a quick fix, probably job done in an hour.

Hopefully peeps on here can advise on a suitable one.

(Make sure the frame is braced in exactly the position you want before you apply the adhesive...)

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Expanding foam.

Astramax likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Seconded ;)

5. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Any specific foam we are recommending for this type of repair chaps?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I have used the same foam as the Double Glazing boys use to secure window frames.

FatHands likes this.
  7. lemonade

lemonade Member

Is there anything better than expanding foam as the last time I used expanding foam on my front door it bowed the frame.

8. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Insta stick expanding foam, brace the door with a wedge before you put it in, and within half hour it will be set.

9. I think there's expanding foam and there's expanding foam.

Ie - there's the original stuff wot was used for filling large holes (I wouldn't use that to try and stick anything...), and there are new products designed as a gap-filling adhesive. Used these days to fit windows and stuff.

(Had a look around a building site yesterday - the house had yet to be boarded inside and I was astonished at the amount of 'foam' exuding from places - between flooring and joists, between sistered joists, etc.

I can see it makes real sense - quick but will also prevent any movement and creaks.

So, find the right stuff, put a brace across the frame from side to side if you think you must, hover out all the loose dust, damped the surfaces IF that's suggested in the instructions, and do a controlled spray right in to the gap, moving the nozzle down to do the whole length. Allow the first 'run' to expand for, I dunno, a minute? and then do a second run. Repeat until the gap is filled.

Trim off excess as soon as you can - when it's firm enough.

KIAB likes this.
  10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Sounds like you've less than a bricks width of block there. Knock it out and fill it with timber(say 3 bits of 4" x 3" vertical, floor to ceiling).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have just been using expanding foam. Buy the one where expansion is minimal, a few £s extra than the standard stuff. I have used bith the dow Insta and the soudal brand (cheaper). If you are worried it may bow the frame, make a temporary nogging to hold it in square, any excess will come out of the sides.

12. lemonade

lemonade Member

Do you mean by looking at the photo.

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Nope. From the way you describe it. I guess I'm wrong then!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. lemonade

lemonade Member

The width of the frame is 80mm but I would say the plaster was 10-20mm thick.