Can you chase mains wires when rewriting/relocating consumer unit?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Zohur Miah, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Zohur Miah

Zohur Miah New Member

Hi I just had my house gutted out and also rewirred at the same time. My consumer unit has moved 2 meteres higher than it originally was. It is now above my front door. My electrician has chased all the wires for light switches and sockets as I specifically said I don't like when you use trucking (the surface mounted plastic boxes - if that's what it's called).

However for the thick main live, neutral and earth cables going from the old consumer unit to the new consumer unit has been put inside a trucking box and is surface mounted. He tells me it is regulation. Is this true?

Thanks Zed

2. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

In a way he is correct as the cables would have to be in a zone, chased at a depth greater than 50mm or have sufficient mechanical protection like a steel plate, steel conduit etc. Another option might be to use steel wired armoured cable and install a switch fuse near the old position but without seeing it this might not be possible etc. The reasons the other cables are allowed to be chased with none of the above is because they will have been installed within permitted zones and have protection by a 30mA RCD. You cant really install an up front RCD to protect the cables you mention because if you have a fault and the upfront RCD tripped then you would be left with no sockets, lights etc and this would not comply with regulations.

3. Zohur Miah

Zohur Miah New Member

Hi

Thanks for your rowdy. So does that mean pretty much all new build homes will have trucking arround the fuse box?

When you say you can use a steel plate / steel conduit, do you have a screwfix link?

Many thanks
    Zed

4. leesparkykent

On new installs I tend to use this product. can be purchased from edmundson electrical.

A similar product here but I don't know if its as robust as the product in the video

http://www.directchannel.uk.com/cable-management/cable-capping/gs9-tail-cable-protectors

5. Zohur Miah

Zohur Miah New Member

All the wiring for switches and sockets had this kind of metal sheet over the wires before it was plastered. I assume it's the same thing. So if my electrician uses this metal sheet, I can have the main wires chased into the wall?

The main wires Will be thicker than the wires for the switches. Do they make metal sheets to accommodate thick wires? Any regulations regarding how deep walls can be chased?

6. Zohur Miah

Zohur Miah New Member

And why couldn't he just chase them more than 50mm into the wall in the first place?

7. leesparkykent

No what would of been used would be a thing called metal capping http://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-gal...3pmO4iLVs94oN6j9cHebhFK11rzlWBlmloaAqTh8P8HAQ This isn't the same thing as the video, metal capping will not provide the required level of mechanical protection. The purpose of capping is to protect the cables from plasterers trowels.

8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

All your circuits are protected with 30ma RCDs,your meter tails won't, it not really advisable to bury them in your wall most new builds meter tails are inside wall

9. leesparkykent

Do you have pics of the trunking so we can see the route it would of needed to of been chased? IIRC a horizontal chase has a maximum depth of 1/6th of the brick thickness.

10. Zohur Miah

Zohur Miah New Member

Thanks leesparkykent. That makes sense.

So Just to clarify, if i get the electrician to chase the wall and use the steel plate that you have posted, I should be within building regs?

Btw, the wires in question run vertically up the wall into the ceiling. This run is actually within the safe zone (I understand this being 150mm from the edge of the wall?). I assume that this, plus the steel plate should satisfy building regs?

11. nffc

nffc Active Member

I think your new position for you CU is against Part P. Was the work registered with LABC.

12. Zohur Miah

Zohur Miah New Member

By meter tails, you mean the thick wires coming from the smart meter going into the consumer unit?

if so, what do you mean by new holds meter tails are inside wall?

13. Zohur Miah

Zohur Miah New Member

It was carried out my a qualified electrician. Works not complete yet, still waiting for certificate etc.

I thought the height of consumer units being lowered is for new builds rather than a old property having a upgrade?

14. leesparkykent

yes that's correct. This complies with reg 522.6.204 (iv) if your electrician wants to check it out.

15. leesparkykent

Part M of the building regs says for work on an existing building that did not comply with the applicable requirements of the building regulations the building must not be no more unsatisfactory in relation to the requirements than before the work was carried out.

Part M says consumer units should be mounted at a height so that the switches are between 1350mm and 1450mm above finished floor level. so if the existing position was below this height it shouldn't of really been moved to a height above the door.

However having mentioned the above its your house position it where you want.

Here is the document https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...BR_PDF_AD_M1_2015_with_2016_amendments_V3.pdf Page V and page 9 state the above.

nffc likes this.
  16. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Part M heights are for new buildings generally, for existing buildings its says you just cant make the building any worse than it was.

I note the reg on page 9, it states that consumer units must be mounted 1350-1450 from the floor, if this applied to an existing house then how would you get the CU under the stairs next to the meter.

17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

That don't sound right to me mate, afaik it's new builds only. Also the
    BS 8300:2009+A1:2010 Design of buildings and their approaches to meet the needs of disabled people – Code of practice is not mandatory.

18. leesparkykent

yes the height of 1350-1450 for a consumer unit is for new builds. I was pointing out the height the document mentions as this would be your benchmark to follow otherwise how would you know your work was no more unsatisfactory in relation to the requirements than before the work was completed?

For an existing consumer unit under the stairs, if you replace the consumer unit and it goes back at the same height then its no more unsatisfactory than before you replaced it.

nffc likes this.
  19. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

That quote was taken from approved document part "M", which is mandatory, otherwise part P wouldn't be mandatory either-if only.

Its like the socket height, in a new build they have to be at least 450mm, in an existing building if the original sockets are at 300mm then you can put the new ones at this height but not 290mm.

Risteard, nffc and leesparkykent like this.
  20. leesparkykent

Spot on :)