Can you install a radiator upside down? (it will make sense if you read on)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Colin_S, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Colin_S

Colin_S New Member

Hello all

I bought a new tall rad to replace the old standard one. I have totally re-decorated my hallway and the rad pipes run down the wall and along by the floor to feed the radiator, it was about 0.5m high, the new one is about 2m in height. What i want to do is to get rid off the pipes running down the wall and feed the radiator from the top (hence the rad being upside down) and install an airing valve. Will this work and circulate ok?

thanks

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

yes as long as the air can escape when filling the rad, ie the pipes are running upwards all the way to an upstairs rad or air vent in the system, ;)

FatHands likes this.
  3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi, sorry to hi-jack the thread, but, Tom - do you mean a vent that is not part of the radiator (if there is nothing suitable directly above)?

4. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

That he does mean. Air in the rad will rise into the pipe above. If there is a radiator above the air will collect in that and vented through it air vent. If there is no rad above then an air vent has to be at the highest point of the system.

You could use chrome pipes from the tall rad into the ceiling above. You could fit in-line chrome valves above the rad. Depending on the type, they may look unsightly. You could have in-line radiator isolators in the floor space accessible by a removable panel or floorboard.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    FatHands likes this.
  5. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Got it. Thanks Walt

6. Colin_S

Colin_S New Member

thanks for the reply, is it worth installing a drain valve and use it as a airing valve on the pipe work or will the air just simply go to the radiator above?

7. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Air will rise up. If there are rads in the upstairs rooms the air will collect there. Once the air is removed all is fine. You need a chrome nut or something on the bottom of the tall rad to drain it.

FatHands likes this.
  8. Colin_S

Colin_S New Member

Thanks for all the feed back everyone, i do have the chrome nuts. time to install i think

9. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

I might sound a bit thick but will the hot water circulate all the way round or just stay at the top. ??

10. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

It is pumped so it will circulate around. When switched off the hot water will rise into the bedroom rads above.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  11. Whocares

Whocares New Member

I think the valves are a good idea for when you need to drain down and redirect the pipework to enter from the bottom or at least redirect the return to run at a lower level for the correct circulation across the rad to achieve the design output. Or if the design of the rad allows a drop tube into the rad on the return side. :) good luck.....

12. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

A drop tube can be made, but it needs a decent pipe fitter to do it rather than a DIYer