can you tile over 80s hard vinyl?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by chubbylover, Apr 16, 2016.

1. chubbylover

chubbylover New Member

I have removed the carpet and underneath there are 80s vinal tiles glued to the concrete floor. The tiles are hard but snap easily and are glued with something nasty which stretches.
    I want to use ceramic tiles the same as I have in my kitchen, the floor had the same tiles on with sticky back vinyl over the top but it's a quarter of the size of the room I want to do so I took those in the kitchen up back to bare concrete.
    Can I use ceramic tiles over the top and if so how do I prep and what's the best adhesive to use?

2. proby

proby Active Member

Chubby I did the same a few years ago in my daughters kitchen. Could not get the old tiles up they were stuck down really well. Cannot think of the name of the tile cement I used I think it was from wickes and it did say on the bag it was for this type of surface. If I could have got the old tiles up I would have but if they are stuck down firm then have a look on the tile cement in b and q or wickes.

3. chubbylover

chubbylover New Member

Thanks proby.
    Your not wrong about them being stuck down well ! I've had a look on the net for advice but I'm worried they will eventually start lifting up if i put tiles over them and can't find anything.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Tiles and adhesive could contain Chrysotile.But hopefuly not mine did but the house was 60's.

Asbestos.jpg

Attached Files:

5. proby

proby Active Member

It was about five years ago I did it and not had any problems but they were stuck down really well. Give them a good clean first and perhaps score them to give a better grip. Have a read on the back of the cement bags to see what it's suitable for.

6. chubbylover

chubbylover New Member

My house was built in 1890 but had a renovation done in the 80s and these tiles are in all the downstairs rooms but they're on wooden floorboards in the living room but I'm going to re-carpet it lol

7. proby

proby Active Member

Just had a look on the b and q site some on there ultra flex that it says can go over vinal tiles

8. chubbylover

chubbylover New Member

Nice one proby, saved me the job of looking lol :)

9. proby

proby Active Member

You're welcome it was unibond ultra flex you could always ask in a tile showroom, they would most likely say its best get them up but worth asking.

10. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As Jit, vinyl tiles could contain asbestos, take care.