Can you use white spirit to clean pvc window frames?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Gadge, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Gadge

Gadge New Member

simple question, i tried it on a litle bit and it does the job, dont know if it will damage the plastic tho?

2. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

you can get special cleaner for pva and that it solvent based

3. bigjules

bigjules New Member

I have successfully cleaned uPVC fascia and soffit with a VERY WEAK solution of brick cleaning acid in water, making sure that is was rinsed very well with clean water.
    Leaves 'em sparkling white!!
    Have never tried it on windows............

4. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

I tried this http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11235&ts=09272 but it was worse than soapy water. I tried white spirit too, worked really well. Can't help feeling it might damage the plastic/seals though? Perhaps OK as a one off but wash down well with soapy water and continue using soapy water regularly to stop dirt getting ingrained.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I use Flash liquid in hot water, finished off with chamois leather, comes up a treat.

6. handyman.

handyman. New Member

7. handyman.

handyman. New Member

used what appears to be the same as that thompsons stuff today. Got 1L out of a facia suppiers for £4. It looks like jif (or cif as its known now) and has a whitening agent in it.

It cleans the plastic much quicker (i'd say 50% quicker than solvent) and does a very nice job of it. Recommended

8. bondy

bondy New Member

white spirit can be used on glass or plastic frames. its a sod to polish up though. use a gritty type cleaner on stains.