Can you wire a floodlight with twin and earth cable?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mattyc, Jul 3, 2011.

1. mattyc

mattyc Guest

Can you wire a floodlight with twin and earth cable?
    The earth cable being exposed so like without the coloured plastic around it but still protected from the rain, like shown on the picture

Thanks
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Twin & earth shouldn't really be used out-side as it can be degraged by sun light, (and it looks rough!) better to use black flex to the light. One way is to run t/e through the wall into the back of  a waterproof box, then from there to lamp in flex.
    Or, if the whole run is outside, use Hi-tuff or similar.

3. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Its as easy as 1/2/3 and concur fully with you Sen..please find pictures of my light which I believe follows regs to the letter..please excuse box colour - however that is an aesthetic thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember the flood swivels OP - this negates the use of T + E out of the wall and into the flood ..;)

4. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Sorry forgot to mention silicone bead between box and t'wall OP - also the cable emanating out of the wall is 3c + e which allows lets just say an easy override from a 2 way switch with N in the box (no good if FCU fed etc etc)..;)

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Must admit I have just run the t/e straight into the lamp sometimes JP, in which case I slip a short length of small black flexi conduit over the cable first! It's not as though the lamps get swivelled about is it.

6. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Very true Sen..at least you cover the cable with some UV resistant appropriate conduit..most people would never bother doing that..brilliant m8..True they don't get swiveled much, and if they do its only a small arc..bit like a cooker cabled in T + E to the cooker outlet point I suppose.

7. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I could do it, I don't find it any harder to use T&E as oposed to other cables.
    Now wiring in SWA might be a bit of a challenge.

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes Spin, no doubt we could all do it but the op's question was "is it right do do it".