Cant Drill Into Wall With SDS Drill

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Luke Dee, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Luke Dee

Luke Dee New Member

Hi,

Ive been trying to put a bathroom cabinet up in a bungalow. My first attempt was with a cordless drill and a masonry drill bit. I got 1.5cm into the wall, hit something hard & couldn't go any further.
    I did some research on the internet and decided an SDS drill was what I needed. So I bought this one http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb465drh-4-8kg-sds-plus-rotary-hammer-drill-230-240v/63303

Still I am getting 1.5 cm into the wall and no further. And the drill tip is getting really hot.

Does anyone know what this wall could be made of and how I get a screw into it?

Attached Files:

• hole.jpg
      hole.jpg
      File size:
      133.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

KIAB's wallet!:D

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  3. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Lintel or rsj possibly?, if you shine a light into the hole can you see metal?, little screwdriver into the hole and tap, does it sound metallic?.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Internal wall or external wall, could be rebar in concrete wall if external.

Heller TriJet sds bits are good for tough jobs & reinforced concrete,only from TS though.

5. Luke Dee

Luke Dee New Member

Hi, thanks for the replies. I attached a picture to my first post if anyone would like to look at the hole.
    Its kindof annoying as the cabinet only cost me £15 and Ive spent £60 on a dril and drillbits trying to put it up :(
    Its an internal wall between a bathroom and a bedroom.
    Ive tried 4 holes above the sink where I want the cabinet but all the same problem.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How old is bungalow, is it PRC (Prefabricated Reinforced Concrete) construction?

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Try an HSS bit.

KIAB likes this.
  8. Luke Dee

Luke Dee New Member

I think its 1920.
    I just went back and had another go I think I made another 0.5cm of progress.
    Is it normal that it would take ages? I got an SDS drill because all the info led me to believe it would go through it like butter.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Poor quailty sds bit more than likely, what brand you using.

A good sds bit should be like a hot knife through butter in most cases.

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Depends what the bit is hitting i guess. I would try an HSS bit

KIAB likes this.
  11. Luke Dee

Luke Dee New Member

I put a link to the drill Im using in my first post. The drillbit is a Stanley masonry bit.

12. Luke Dee

Luke Dee New Member

Are they **** bits? I got it from Homebase as thats all that was open near me :(

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Worth a try, could even be hard engineering bricks like Accrington bricks.

koolpc likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No idea have never used them, have always used Heller Trijet or Bosch bits.
    And it's important to let the bit work at it's own pace, don't force it, ruin bits.

15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Agree with Kiab, let the drill and bit do the work, I've used Stanley bits and there are a lot worse out there tbh.

16. Working On It

Working On It Member

That doesn't have a drill hole that is normal to a masonry bit, doesn't it look like a small core drill bit, something like a bit for drilling tiles...
    WOI

17. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Is it an SDS bit?

There is a difference between normal bits for hammer drills and those for SDS

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Now that is a intresting photo, can see it properly now at home on pc, quite agree Bianco.
    wonder if OP can post photo of the drill bit.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Is it an old prefab style bungalow, concrete inside and later brick skin on the outside ? Concrete that has cured for a 100 years could be mighty tough

20. Luke Dee

Luke Dee New Member

Hi, thanks for the replies.
    Good news I went back and had a 3rd go and finally managed to drill through whatever is there. The other side of it looks like red brick as red dust started coming out.
    This is the drillbit Im using www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/stanley-sds-drill-bit-5-x160---sta54282-qz-315388
    It looks pretty blunt now. The cabinet needs 4 holes so the next hole I drill I will time it as it seems to be taking a long time?
    Can anyone recommend a good SDS drill bit that will last me a while drilling through this stuff as I have quite a few things to put up (shower curtain, shelves, riser rail, pictures etc).
    Also when I push on the drill as Im drilling the chuck retracts towards the drill preventing me from putting pressure on the wall. Is that normal or have I not tightened something on the drill?