Capping off 8mm Microbore?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jonny Round Boy, May 14, 2007.

1. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

I've removed a radiator in a small kitchen (it's not being replaced). It's piped in 8mm microbore copper. I sent my mate out to get some stop ends, but the ones he came back with were for 10mm, not 8mm. He said the guy in the merchants said they were the smallest size they had.

I've had a look, and screwfix don't do them for 8mm. Are they available elsewhere? Should decent merchants have them in stock?

The only other option I could think of was to crimp the pipe, fold it over, and solder it, but I'm not overly convinced it'd seal properly (the inside of the pipe looks quite dirty & would be hard to clean up enough to get a decent soldered joint), especially under pressure.

2. softinmiddle

softinmiddle New Member

your local plumb center will sell em
    :)

3. Jonny Round Boy

your local plumb center will sell em
    :)

It was my local plumb center he went to! They obviously saw him coming - he came out with 2x 10mm stop ends, and they'd charged him a total of £7.70!!!

4. softinmiddle

softinmiddle New Member

well ive got some in the van, where are you?

5. changename-22437

changename-22437 New Member

they defo saw him coming lol i hate people in plumbing merchants who are idiots to new boys coming through

6. Jonny Round Boy

...I've seen 'em in B&Q

I'll have a look tomorrow - didn't think they'd have them!

well ive got some in the van, where are you?

Cheers for the offer - I'm in Halifax, West Yorks - if you're nearby that'd be great, but chances are you aren't!

7. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

if you have any short bits of 10mm tube here's what to do, cut the 10mm tube with a junior saw, that will then slip over the 8mm like a coupling, solder it and fit your 10mm stop end to 10mm pipe,

8. Woodlands

Woodlands New Member

9. slippyr4

slippyr4 Member

Is waking up a 9 year dead thread a record?

longboat likes this.
  10. Woodlands

Woodlands New Member

Don't know, but the thread came up when looking for info on how to do it. Searched on Screwfix and found the bits needed.