Car audio replacement

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by unphased, Oct 14, 2013.

1. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Um of all the things in cars nowadays a face-off radio should consume almost no power when its switched off. Some things will do, like alarms and trackers. I guess Halfords are just wiring it up as per the manufacturers diagram. Pop your amp clamp (assuming it does DC) around the earth cable on the battery UP and see what the drain is.

Cheers
    Fats

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Surely it should be wired to come on with the first turn auxilliary key position!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Interesting response from Alpine. Apparently the Halfords tech has wired it correctly. It drains 50mA when switched off at the radio switch and 5mA with ignition off. I guess it could be wired to the first auxiliary position as you suggest, Handy.

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. Modern cars to have a small amount of drain on them (body ECU for example). Manufacturers are aware of this - if you add all the potentials up it could be a flat battery over a short period of time!

Cheers
    Fats

5. JustinPof

JustinPof New Member

Did you get the Pioneer? Are you happy with it?

If so maybe you can help point to the right direction. I'm on a quest for a new stereo. I've been reading reviews about Pioneer stereos but they are useless hype. It's beyond me why people are doing it.

This head unit landed on my short list AVH-1550NEX. From all the blogs that I've read one stood out. The blogger was hyper critical about Pioneer and put me on the fence. The Pioneer double din review was OK until I've reached the shortcomings section.How hard is to install these units anyways? What about that radio lag? Is it that bad?

Any tips are welcomed

6. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

6 year old thread, 13 year old car, its probably been scrapped.

7. Kingnaldo

Kingnaldo New Member

I prefer to use screens for the sound of the car, that is, it has more advantages than the conventional ones, I can from watch movie to using YouTube, I like them more than the generic system that they bring