Caravan wet through

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Demonica, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Demonica

Demonica Member

Hmm, not really it depends how you look at it. You learn from what you do, I have the time, have the patience, money I have to sort of re build it. Yes it could be an expensive project or hobby but most of my hobbies are expensive, but at the end of the day it's something I could call mine, something I have learnt from and something for my whole family to learn from as well. Just need to find where I can get the wood and corners from for it

2. Demonica

Demonica Member

Considering that I also have multiple health conditions it is a challenge for me and something that is I think going to be worth while doing

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think the main thing to learn from this is not to buy rotten caravans.
    I can see where you are coming from but I'm fairly experienced and I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole.
    Why not buy a decent caravan and spend your money and effort making it the most stylish caravan or the quirkiest or the most technically advanced rather than trying resurrect a corpse.
    I've restored a Landrover and it's not that hard if you have the tools and you can buy a chassis but you're trying to replace the skeleton of a snail without killing the snail and not having a new skeleton.

4. Demonica

Demonica Member

Erm because I have very little money to buy an expensive decent one. :-/. Unless I buy it on the drip which means then another tie down. :-S.
    I can no longer work due to health issues, so it's hard to finance something new as such, other than that it's trying to save for a decent caravan and then buying one that isn't due to go to the knack yard

5. Will this be expensive to fix? Probably not. Why not? 'Cos materials - timber and screws and glue and stuff - are not expensive.

But it will be a lot of hard work, and will take a lot of time.

I presume the outer skin is aluminium? In which case this part at least won't be rotten, so you don;t have to worry about that very tricky part.

Instead, I'd guess you'd be stripping the inside panelling off to gain access to the timber frame, and rebuilding that from the inside. In which case this is LOTS or work but probably not a huge amount of actual cost.

First issue, tho', is where did the water get through to the frame? If you don;t sort this, then you'll continue to have problems.

And if any steel components - chassis, etc - is rotten, then that will be beyond the wit of most home DIYers. So, for this, get ready for a multi-£undred bill or have a friend who'd be happy to replace chassis members for you - bearing in mind that gaining access to the chassis might be a body-off job...

So, perhaps sit down and have a cuppa and a good think through?

6. Demonica

Demonica Member

Hi and thanks, most useful reply I've had so far. I thought that it could be a body of job maybe to sort the A frame out the part where it tows needs replacing I think. As it was said that it has been crushed in the past by previous owner.
    What we had thought about doing was ripping up the rotten flooring and sorting chassis out from there if it needs doing, I'm sure it will need doing at some point, don't know where water has been coming in from that's to be found yet.

Nothing is impossible..... Like everything it takes time to do.

7. That Ukcampsite link gives a good idea of what to expect. There must be other similar sites too, I'd have thought?

I think the gist of it is - don't hold back, just start stripping the inside with abandon. If you do it in small sections, hoping that the rot will stop soon, then you'll end up with a lot of patching to do. It'll probably be easier to fit complete nrew internal panels afterwards.

But, first, I'd get a welder fellow in to quote for sorting the chassis/A-frame. That could be a defining moment...

I see you've joined that site? Good move, but chust a shame that the thread seems to have petered out. Widen your searches for caravan renovations - you don;t have to stick with the exact same model. There must surely be lots of info out there?

Curved timber? I suspect you'll have to do that yourself... :) If you can, remove the old bits as intact as possible and use it as a template. But expect to have to jigsaw and then plane solid blocks/timbers to get the profiles you want.

A couple of excellent products you'll undoubtedly benefit from - one is polyurethane wood glue ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/geocel-joiners-mate-liquid-wood-adhesive-500ml/44485 ) which is a sticky liquid which foams up after being applied (so will fill gaps) and sets with ambient moisture to a rock-hard adhesive. I think this sticks well to other materials too, so could be ideal for fixing these curved timbers in place, especially if they aren't - cough - a perfect fit.

And then there's 'StixAll' by Everbuild (other makes too...). This adhesive comes in cartridges that you use with a skeleton gun. It'll stick chust about anything to anything else. It sets to a tough rubbery finish, so is perfect for sticking down and sealing external weather strips (faaaaar better than silicones or frame sealants), and panel joints etc.

You could practically build your new frame from these two products... :)

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You forgot to add Masonry Paint DA to your list of best loved materials :rolleyes:

Once all the remedial works are completed on the van, slosh 20 litres of masonry paint over the whole thing and it will be good to go for another 50 years :eek:

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

DA has given you some good advice, but and this is a big but, as a caravan owner, do yourself a favour and walk away, patching up a bit of timber is one thing, but a knackered A frame is a totally different kettle of fish, this is potentially very dangerous and should really be scrapped, put it down to a bad experience and move on, making sure you take someone who know vans before you buy another.

11. That's the kind of stuff I was thinking of, Chippie. It's greeeeeaaattt.

I agree, Phil. I did suggest checking that out - along with the rest of the chassis - and getting quotes for repair before going any further. The job might well have to stop right there... :(

12. Demonica

Demonica Member

So you guys recon I should get the A frame sorted out first then?:-/. The hitch lock is naff at the front from what the other half has just said. Can this be repaired safely at all or is it heading for a burial? O:)
    If I get the A frame sorted, the wooden half moons for the frame can those be replaced with something like hinge type things to bolt together to hold it all together at all?

Kinda got a slow down at mo.x, have the flu but want to so do the caravan. Hate not doing anything:-&

13. I really don't know.

But I suspect strongly that if the chassis is rotten to any great extent, then you are talking a big issue - body off to get access, etc.

So, absolutely find that out first before possibly wasting any time or money on the 'van itself.

Not sure what you mean by 'half moons' and 'hinge-type', but there is no limit to what fixing methods you can use provided they actually do the job :)

14. Demonica

Demonica Member

Hi thanks for all your reply, today I was going to sort the caravan out but other half stopped me saying that it's too much hassle to do. Instead I've bought another one in better condition. No rot, just needs re sealing and painting and the electrics looking at. Not a great deal to do with it. I will take all advice on with regards to resealing and painting for this caravan. Thanks for all the help and advice. X

15. Demonica

Demonica Member

Old Caravan now going to scrap yard or to be made into a trailer if someone is willing to sort it out :-D

16. Demonica

Demonica Member

My new to do caravan.

Attached Files:

17. Demonica

Demonica Member

What glue is best to seal the outside?

18. That's a really nice looking 'van :).

(Good decision, I suspect...)

What exactly do you mean by 'sealing the outside'? What are you trying to seal?

19. Demonica

Demonica Member

Messaged you. The outside of the caravan where the joins meet.

Attached Files:

20. I would use Crystal clear stixall to seal any leaks