Career Advice (Carpenter/Joiner/Cabinet Maker)

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by MJohnson93, Apr 30, 2017.

1. MJohnson93

MJohnson93 New Member

Hello all, I'm looking to move from an IT job into carpentry; something more tangible & hands on. I'm not the most succinct writers, so this is a bit rambling, any advice/feedback would be welcomed.

I'm 23 & the Government are changing the way apprenticeships work, opening them up to over those over 18, & I don't mind a pay cut for a few years. I decided I want a craft & something practical (working with wood or stone masonry). I've been researching the different job types; carpenter/joiner/cabinet maker.

My question is, which of these would be more future proof? (automation seems to be picking up pace now) & what's the employment prospects like?

- I've always enjoyed helping my grandad in renovating houses, he used to buy cheap/run down places and down most of the work himself; roofing, kitchen fitting, stairs, flooring etc... Would I be correct in saying a carpenter would do these things? My grandad was a plumber, so he picked up quite a bit on job sites.

Is it possible to work as a carpenter and make cabinets/furniture part time? (skill wise or is it a different expertise)

Alternatively, skill wise, is it possible to work as a bench joiner & renovate houses part time? (I'm not sure on the overlap of carpenters & joiners, I've read that carpenters do 1st & 2nd fix & joiners work in a shop, but I've also read that there are site joiners who do the 2nd fix/finishing).

Thanks,
    - Mark

2. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

My City and Guilds say Carpenter and Joiner, down here (South of Watford) a joiner makes joinery (windows, doors etc) and a carpenter fits them and cuts roofs etc. I would go for carpentry as you see what all the other trades do and how they do it, in addition to this although you do need a lot of kit you don't need £20k plus of static machinery and the health and safety problems that go with it. I would say that more than 90% of site agents were originally chippies as they are usually on a job for the longest time so when you are fed up with being a "do'er" you can become a "tell'er".

But coming from IT you may be used to being indoors in the warmish and not too good with heights, the rain, the frost or the snow so maybe a joinery life would suit you?

"Lights touch paper and retires"

KIAB likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You will also need to invest in 'Thermal underwear'.

4. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

MJohnson, the way to be most future proofed is to be bloody good at your job. It's true that automation will make a big impact upon industry and the building trade is no exception. I've been to demonstrations where paving has been laid by machinery and cnc woodworking machinery has cut beautiful shapes and designs out of wood. But you know in all my experience I never met or heard of a machine that could motivate a bunch of chippies on a wet November day to get up the rig and fit a roof.

It seems to me that you possess a unique skillset that many of us don't. The ability to work with computers. I would be looking at learning about cnc controlled routers and cutters. I would be looking at other areas like programme writing as they are applied in computer aided manufacture. Afraid it won't get you out on site but in the Winter a nice warm factory might be preferable.

Good luck

Jord86 likes this.
  5. MJohnson93

MJohnson93 New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's been useful. I don't mind the cold, I used to work as a farm hand & it never bothered me.

Am I correct in saying joiners make & then the carpenters install. Is there any crossover?
    Let's say I go down the route of a carpenter but a few years later I want to be a joiner, would it be a easy enough to do?

I say this because, I'm not too sure if I'd find working in new build sites fulfilling after a few years, likewise if I'm a joiner stuck doing door/window frames.

I guess I want variety, I've been doing some reading about how some German journeyman carpenters do everything from carving canoes/building boats to constructing log cabins and erecting wooden structures for the building (timber framing. I think it's called). Before settling down into the area they enjoy.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I wouldn't worry to much about about the title but whether you want to do site work, domestic or bench joinery, for site work you need tickets.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What ever you start out to be, you will undoubtedly be doing something else in a few years time.

vivaro man likes this.
  8. PC Works

PC Works Member

Carpenters generally fix things in place with screws, nails etc whereas joiners use joints -dovetail, mortice and tenon etc.

But being good at your job like one of the other OPs says is one of the best ways to make sure you stay in demand. Also if site work does go the way of machines, there's always private residential work.

9. It depends in which part of the country you are, as to whether you are called a Carpenter or a Joiner.

PC Works likes this.
  10. PC Works

PC Works Member

Really? I thought they were two different things....obviously not totally different as they both involve working with wood

11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

There's a twist to this.

When the news article surfaced recently about machines steadily taking jobs away I remarked to my son that there won't be a machine that can do what I do thankfully so I needn't worry (I work in the private residential sector as suggested earlier in this thread as a fall back option).
    "What about your clients who lose their jobs to machines?" he replied.

Hmmm.......

12. PC Works

PC Works Member

Hope you grounded him for a week lol

13. WillyEckerslike

I ought to do the reverse. He spends all his time at home at the moment perfecting his rigour mortis (and making smart observations).

PC Works likes this.
  14. PC Works

PC Works Member

I know, I'm only messing. Is he off sick atm?

15. WillyEckerslike

Looking for work at present and making some headway at last. He has mental health issues and low self esteem which makes the whole process terrifying for him. His last job was a two year temp job. He saved his money pretty thoroughly so doesn't actually 'need' the money at present which lessens his resolve even further - at least until my wife unleashes another of her motivational speeches. I just think it's a little unfair that they're aimed at me not him.....

PC Works likes this.
  16. PC Works

PC Works Member

Good to hear he's making progress on the job front. I can relate to the mental health issues and low self esteem-think they go hand in hand.

My mum does the same thing-issues advice aimed at my brother, to me.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I fix things with screws, pins, bolts, glue, rivnuts, rivets, staples, tape, corrugated fastners and mortice and tenon. The only time I use nails are for fixing ply to steel.
    I call myself a carpenter because I make things primarily out of wood, what anybody else chooses to call me is up to them. ;););)

PC Works likes this.
  18. PC Works

PC Works Member

Just out of interest, when would you use rivets? Is there a rule of thumb? I've never used them- I'm neither a carpenter nor a joiner ;) how long have you been a carpenter?

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It depends what material you are joining to what, they are generaly used for joining two thin sheets together.

PC Works likes this.
  20. PC Works

PC Works Member

Ah ok. Cheers