Career Advice (Carpenter/Joiner/Cabinet Maker)

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by MJohnson93, Apr 30, 2017.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A long time as a carpenter and in engineering before that.

2. Alexander Pattison

Alexander Pattison New Member

I absolutely agree with this!

I'm 29 and 3.5 years ago made the career move to become a carpenter after doing a short evening course in joinery. I had the exact same questions as you!
    I was told it's nothing like cabinet making but tried it anyway. I LOVE any type of 1st and 2nd fix and you learn so much in site in such a short time. I think I've learnt more practical and transferable skills as a site carpenter and can earn more money rather than a joiner... Despite how enjoyable working in a warm environment on a lovely piece of work might be.

I would also love some advice on how to progress in the industry. (Can't work out how to start a thread.. Sorry OP) I mostly know what I'm doing now but still need some guidance and don't want to go to jobs feeling like I'm winging it and have to pretend I'm more experienced than I am.

Anyway dude, if you love taking time over a great piece of woodwork and don't have too many outgoings to worry about then go for joinery, otherwise be a chippy! I make furniture in my spare time and get bread and butter from site work