CAREER CHANGE

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by DanielRC, Nov 16, 2016.

1. DanielRC

DanielRC New Member

Hi,

I am a 27 year old Quantity Surveyor. I am considering changing career to get into tiling, as I am not a fan of sitting at a desk all day and much prefer doing something practical with my time. I am a keen and experienced DIY'er (decorating, plasterboarding/ lining etc).

Can anyone advise on a good tiling training course to attend and advise the best way to get into work, as I know experience is key.

Alternatively - if you know of anyone looking for a reliable, mature apprentice who has 10 years experience in construction and pricing let me know :). I am based in SE London/ Kent and keen to learn.

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Put yourself out there now while you have a job and do weekends and evenings if you have too, run some local free adds, newsagent windows, yellow pages, gumtree?
    I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket with the tiling either, use all your skills.

CGN likes this.
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Why tiling in particular ?

One place where your current skills and limited "hands on" experience would be really useful is "building in the round" using poles and logs to build houses and eco homes. The structural calcs are interesting to say the least but there is a lot of knowledge needed in the lifting and moving of the logs. The way they are prepared and cut means a few at a time means quite often it isn't practical to use cranes - so they are quite often lifted by hand/a-frames / block and tackle.

I spent a day a week over two years helping out on a community project building a very large community centre - a very good time.