Carpet Paper/Lining Paper

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by JP., May 15, 2017.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Afternoon guys. Silly question but here goes - Can you use lining paper instead of brown paper (paper felt) for laying on floorboards prior to laying carpet? Reason for asking is that the proper stuff is a tad expensive, and the lining paper is a fraction of the price. The lining paper gauge I was proposing to use is 2000g,

Thanks lads.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't see why not, they use to use newspaper years ago to prevent heat loss.:)

Diall Carpet Lining Paper 20mtr roll (20m2) is about £4 a roll in B&Q.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi Kiab - tried B and Q for that Diall Carpet Paper and not one of the branches has any stock left. and from what I can gather they will not be stocking it anymore.

I will use the lining paper - the reason for using is that it stops dust coming through the floorboard gaps which stains the carpet around the edges after a period of time.

Thanks Mr K

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Used it for laying under hardboard a couple of times before carpeting and it worked fine.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks guys - lining paper it is

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Can put underlay under carpet. Is the carpet foam backed/felt backed or hessian?

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I've used some sort of thick paper before under a carpet, under the underlay. Had no problems.

8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Used to be newspaper, half the fun of lifting old floors was reading the news, adverts and prices from 30 years ago!;)

Dr Bodgit and KIAB like this.
  9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Brilliant stuff guys - many thanks

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Carpet? In my days it was 1930s lino being taken up (with 1960s newspaper underneath)

Jhack and KIAB like this.