Carport Help Please...

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DarrenWebb, Dec 11, 2014.

1. DarrenWebb

DarrenWebb New Member

Hi. I'm planning a project to construct a timber Carport attached (on one side) to the side of my house. I intend using 6" x 2" timber. Likely to join 2 x 3m lengths for an overall carport length of 6m.

I'm confident with all aspects of the project except the best method for fixing the wall plate to the brick wall. Each brick has 3 hollows. I've considered Rawlplugs and Resin but undecided which is most suitable. This is a carport not house extension so did wonder if screws (substantial ones!) Would do the job?

Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Gulp - screws?

First I would suggest that whatever fixing your chose is corrosion-proof. And substantial - at least 10mm thick.

So that rules out screws :).

There are lots of choices, but since you mention the bricks have hollows, I wonder if resin is the best option here? Really simple to use - not that I've done so myself... But, I have watched it in process; drill, blow, inject, press in stud, wipe off excess, wait a mo', and jobbie jobbed.

And this was for a safety rail on the top of a 6-storey house in London, so pretty secure.

Hold wall plate in position (use a couple of temporary masonry nails or plugs/screws), and drill all your holes right through. Remove wallplate and do stuff.

Resin chust won't move once set. And your carport could receive a fair bit of buffering from winds over time, so you really want fixings that don't budge.

And I think I'd use treated timber for the wallplate at least (damp coming from wall).

Do you have an SDS drill? If 'yes' then this will be an easy job you need not worry about. If 'no', then get one - even a cheapy from our hosts. They're greeeaaaaattt.

FatHands likes this.