Cars, cars and electric cars

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by joinerjohn1, Jul 26, 2017.

1. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I see the government have said they'll stop the manufacture and sale of new petrol and diesel cars by 2040. What's the consensus amongst us? Do you think this is a good idea or not?
    What's Jeremy Clarkson gonna say on the new series of the Grand Tour? Will the Hamster agree that electric cars are the future? Will Cap'n Slow recommend one?

As I see it, electric car owners benefit from free charging stations up and down the country. How long before they're charged by the government for this free service?

2. Where are all the charging points going to go.Not like petrol or diesel where you drive in,fill up and drive out again.
    Will the grid keep up with the extra demand? doubt that.
    Imagine the queues in motorway services unless there is a charging point at each parking bay.

3. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Will you still be driving in 23 years time?

By them Hinckley Point should be just about finished. :mad:
    So cheap energy for all o_O
    Still time to fit Solar Panels & charge your own.
    Monday morning go to work, Tuesday ring in...cant come in today I'm charging my batteries...

4. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

5. joinerjohn1

In 23 yrs time I'm just hoping I'm still breathing. I told my kids, "The day I'm dependant upon some machine and fluids to keep me alive,, that's the day I'll give up." They took my computer off me and hid me beer. :D:D:D:D:D

6. facilities

facilities Guest

Deleted member 11267 you can charge them at home and also have a really long extension lead, trams near me are electric and go all day long and the next day, just make sure you extension lead is long enough :)

7. The only problem is, I plug the extension lead in on the left of the car,all the undertaking pushbikes when not riding on the pavement get caught up in it.

8. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If you live in a house with a driveway it will be easy to do a full charge overnight.
    What happens if you live in a high rise building or can't get parked anywhere near home ?
    There's many areas in many city's that parking is a major problem. How can a car be charged if not outside a home.
    As the population increases as it will do by 2040 the problem will only get worse.

9. facilities

facilities Guest

Anyway you can't stop progress, it's just the natural evolution of transport, just as we are having problems with fumes from both diesel and petrol engines the victorians also had problems with the horse and carriage, anyone know what the problem was? Well I'll tell yer, prominent politicians of the day debated in parliament what action could be taken to reduce the amount of horse s##t in the streets, apparently in the Mall in 1880 it was knee deep, then all of a sudden someone invented the internal combustion engine well that was the end of the horse s##t problem, no one seen it coming it was a quantum leap,

And so we can't see how these electric thingys will work but fear not some extremely clever person will sort it when most of us are gone, perhaps DA :p

10. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

facilities likes this.
  11. facilities

facilities Guest

:)

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Don't worry. By 2040 someone will have discovered that electric cars are even more harmful that petrol or diesel!

13. Mr. Handyandy

Better to find a way to neutralise the emissions or convert them to something unharmful.

14. How about something revoloutinary like not needing so much traffic. Remember when people could walk to work.

But we dont have factories making anything now, its all service industries and warehouses that everybody needs to travel to for work

15. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You could do with a couple of sandwiches.

fillyboy likes this.
  16. joinerjohn1

Perhaps owners of industrial units and factories, should be made to build cheap affordable housing right on the doorstep of their factories etc and rent them out cheaply to employees. Voila,,, no need for cars.. Now if only they can persuade Tesco, Asda, Morrisons etc to build supermarkets next to these houses, then the problem's solved.. Ohh and the government can do all they can to encourage "staycations" and persuade us that a fortnights camping in our back yards is far better than going to the Balearics, Greece and Italy. Yep the futures bright, it's all electric (not)

17. Mr. Handyandy

And that's another thing. Why can't they incorporate something into these electric cars that catch the airflow and help charge the batteries as you drive?

18. joinerjohn1

Yeah, they should also put solar panels on the roof so it charges itself for a few days in the British Summer. :p:p:p:p:p

19. longboat likes this.
  20. It'll still require oil to be dug up.

(Yes, I know).