Cast-Iron Stack Pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by PoorOldWil, Oct 26, 2003.

1. PoorOldWil

PoorOldWil New Member

I want to modify a cast-iron stack pipe, to insert some PVC connectors for a new WC/bathroom. What would be the best way to separate a lead-filled joint in the CI system?
    Are there any special tools to make the job easier? The plan is to separate the joint, clean it up and then use a rubber gasket to join the PVC connector to the CI socket..Marley seem to sell suitable gaskets. Or is this a dumb way of doing the job??

2. Bob

Bob Guest

Replace the lot with plastic you will save yourself a load of hassle and leaks.

3. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

I replaced a cast iron stack pipe with PVC about 25 years ago for the same reason as PoorOldWil. Weeks after I had finished everything & made good all the holes in the wall I noticed that a joint between sections was leaking slightly, too late to take it apart to examine.
    I wrapped it round hopefully with putty impregnated tape whose name I forget, with great difficulty because it is close to a pebble dashed wall. It still leaks slightly to this day, which wouldn't matter too much except it is now in an outhouse.
    I recommend that sections are fitted together & tested before finally making good, perhaps by plugging the bottom & filling with water.
    Does anyone know of any effective way to seal an existing PVC joint which is always damp & close to a wall?.