Caulk and lining paper

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by StevesST220, May 1, 2015.

1. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

Can caulk be used to fill small gaps between wall (1000 grade lining paper used) and ceiling of an old house? Have read various opinions on this matter, if caulk can be used should it be primed with an oil based promer prior to painting with emulsion?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It can be, but buy a good caulking, less chance of it srinking and opening up the crack again.

3. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Polycell decorators caulk .

4. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Having this trouble also today.

Lined a wall using 1200 grade lining paper, (anaglypta) and ithe joints are shrinking as I'm sat here typing this. Already had to get the paste bucket back out to re-stick a couple of joints, and yes......I did paste it well, and sized the wall beforehand.

5. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

So wot is best to fill?

Caulk or 1 strike filler (meringue)

6. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Good luck mate

7. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

If it's at ceiling, the one I mentioned , if its shrinkage at joins , one strike, hope this helps.

Ghost-1 likes this.
  8. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Jeez.....lining paper has dried out. Bloody great train tracks running down the wall.
    Never had a paper cause me so much problems. 2 options.....fill, or remove and try again.

9. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

If its only couple mm Ghost just fill .

Ghost-1 likes this.
  10. Phil the Paver

If you fill, just don't damage the paper when rubbing down the filler.

Ghost-1 likes this.
  11. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Bloody bank holidays. That and the wife's away in Portugal for a long weekend with the girls.

If this doesn't get me a **** load of brownie points, I'll give up.

Rulland likes this.
  12. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Lol, good for you mate , if all else fails , just chill with a few beers and watch the boxing

Rulland and Ghost-1 like this.
  13. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

What I would give to be lining a room this bank holiday. My other half is away, so I'm stuck at home skimming the room where lining paper couldn't hide the terrible plasterwork...

I've always used caulk down the seams of lining paper without an issue, I can't say I've always bought the best, but the hardware shop I did buy it from don't stock rubbish, so their cheapest is still not bad. The decorator who lives next door to my dad did the same thing in his lounge when that was lined, and he's a really top notch decorator, so I was copying him.

Small hole in the end of the caulk gun at 45 degrees, use a reasonable quality caulking gun too, then slow and steady down the seam. I finished off with a gentle wipe with a damp thumb / sponge and then it didn't need any sanding or finishing once the lining was finished. Finish in that room was paint straight on the lining, so it's not like having wall paper to help hide the joins. Finish is good, can hardly see the joins.

Ghost-1 likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is the lining paper your finish ready for emulsion paint or are you papering over it?

15. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Ready for emulsion.......all done now, but I must of had a dodgy bag of solvite paste. ;)

I just used 1 strike filler......then a light rub with a foam sanding block.

If it all falls off when I paint it.......I'll be back for another whinge.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It may flash, used Easi-fill in the past with this problem.

Ghost-1 likes this.
  17. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Just painted over the joints..........more bubbles than a fecking Aero. :(

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Don't panic, stay cool and let it dry out overnight, probably be ok tomorrow morning when dry.

19. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Not panicking, just laughed and got the beers out. It's calming down.

Jeez, I hate decorating. How the bloody hell you painters do it, day in day out. I'm bored shitless with it now.

20. Phil the Paver

I'm with you on this one, I hate it with a passion, it even worse these days with paints that don't paint, paper that doesn't stick etc etc, moan moan moan. :(