Cavity wall insulation nightmare

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by alan0259, Oct 30, 2014.

1. alan0259

alan0259 New Member

Hi guys, hoping someone with some building knowledge can help me out.

In February 2014 I had cavity wall insulation installed by a company for free on a government scheme.

Since the weather has started to get cold we have noticed (on really cold mornings) that there's two wet patches on our living room inside wall and also the windows are full of condensation.

Our bricks are the sahara buff type, the house is a semi-detached and was built in the late 80's.

I've had them back out to "inspect" it and they said that the window condensation is normal (which I don't believe) and also that the original installers have missed some patches on the wall with the damp patches so they came back and did that section again (second installers said there was no installation there at all), this area is around electric and gas boxes so maybe they were worried about drilling?

Since having this wall re-done, it's not made a difference, I've had another guy back out to inspect it and he's said that they might have blocked the weep holes and that it might be a big job to fix, they are coming back at weekend to put cameras in our walls to have a look.

Hoping someone can offer any advice on what the problem might be, as I have no confidence in these what so ever now, I have a letter saying I'm covered under CIGA but don't want this to be a long drawn out event.

Thanks,
    Alan

2. CWIVA DAMP

CWIVA DAMP New Member

Hello

I would like to draw your attention to a Parliamentary debate raised by John Denham MP 3/2/15. This will give you the information regarding CWI and CIGA

Regards

3. CWIVA DAMP

CWIVA DAMP New Member

Please contact info@cwiva.co.uk if you require further strategies. It is an entirely free service. We are also on twitter @cwivadamp

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I have never understood, and would like someone to explain to me why, when we have cavity trays to collect any water running down inside the outer brick leaf, and we have drip protection on wall ties to prevent water crossing the ties, it is ever a good idea to put something in the cavity that can act as a bridge for water.

5. CWIVA DAMP

CWIVA DAMP New Member

6. CWIVA DAMP

CWIVA DAMP New Member