Ceiling fan removal - Please help - Brain Hurting!!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by craig richards, Aug 28, 2015.

1. craig richards

craig richards New Member

Dear All

The extractor unit in the downstairs bathroom ceiling has stopped working, its a SF100T (tried to attach photo, but says the file is too large) and we have had it since the extension was built over 5 years ago.

The thing is I cannot for the life of me figure out how I get it through the 4" whole that was created for the Halogen light / extractor fan. I have the sneaky suspicion that the builder my have put it in before the ceiling went up, does this happen? I'm pretty confident that once I've isolated the power I'll be able to remove the unit and replace it as the exact model is on Screwfix.

Please help before I pull down the ceiling! I can't get to it from above as my daughters bedroom has laminate.

Cheers

Craig

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Hi Craig. Photos speak a thou words!. Normally u need to either release a screw somewhere on edges, or release by inserting a small screwdriver. Then you'll see screws mounting fan to ceiling.

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Is it this one?

[​IMG]

If so then it should never have been fitted where you cant get to it again, its much bigger than the hole for the grille. They are usually fitted in lofts etc.

4. craig richards

Hi Peter

Thanks so much for replying, yes that's the one!!

5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Bl--dy builders!!!!

6. craig richards

7. peter palmer

It could be just the timer board that is faulty, you could try bypassing it to see if the fan works. Bare in mind the fan has a permanently live connection even if its not switched on. Switch the 3 pole fan isolator off or the MCB/fuse. To get to the PCB remove the two screws on the opposite side to that lable. You will see 3 wires from the grey cable an 2 wires going to the fan. Connect on fan wire to S/L and the other to N.

craig richards likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. craig richards

Thanks Peter I'll try that tomorow in the daylight. Seems like I've been stitched up!

If it doesn't work any recomendations for a replacement? I'm thinking I'll have to leave that one in the roof space, or go to town on it with the pliers to get it out the hole!!!

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

May even be hung from a piece of builders string!

Ooer. Remembering......

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That was a long time ago Andy, I wonder where she is now?

12. peter palmer

13. peter palmer

On another point, why has the price of fans crept up all of a sudden, you used to be able to get a timer fan for about a tenner, now its more like £15-20.

14. craig richards

It should reach the hole itself, but will be a real pain and won't look that great as the light is slap bang in the middle of the bathroom. I wondered if there were fans as such as the one that's in there that I would be able to get in the hole?

Thanks for all your help

15. Frank W

Frank W New Member

You could always expand the existing hole neatly so you can get the unit out and the new one in. Then fit a decorative patch over it and mount the light in the middle of that?