Ceiling Joists Soaked from Rain. What to do?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by NLC21, Jun 13, 2016.

1. NLC21

NLC21 New Member

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice to confirm that what I'm begin told by the builder working on my home have stated. My apologies if a similar thread is anywhere on the site as I did search but didn't find one.

Our kitchen is currently being remodelled and a 2 meter skylight is being installed. In order to install the skylight the builders have removed the roof and reworked the joists to fit the skylight. As we're in London it seemed inevitable we would get rain. However over the last three days it's rain a lot and half my kitchen (currently gutted) has been battered by the rain. Though a tarp has been put in place it hasn't stopped the rain from pouring into the home. My question and concern is that the joists in the ceiling have been saturated and are dripping with water. The builder has told us this won't be a problem long term as they will dry out and he plans to make the roof water tight over the next two days (BTW the forecast calls for rain for the next two days). Once he close the roof he wants to move right into closing the ceiling on the inside. Should I be concerned that these joists have soaked through? Should we advise him not to close the ceiling? Do I need to treat these joists now that they have been soaked?

To note this roof will only support the skylight (180kg) above nothing additional as no floors are above this part of the home.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be provided.

Nick

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If it was me, I wouldn't be putting up the ceiling, the joists need to dry out otherwise you will get mould forming.

3. Scotmac

Scotmac Member

Hi nlc21,

Don't worry about the joists being wet as they will dry out just fine. However like KIAB has said I would strongly advise any finishing work until the timber has had a chance to dry out fully. If you don't let them dry out you could have damp problems with your new ceiling. The builder is going to want it wrapped up asap so he can move on to the next job but you have got to let them dry. it should have been covered better to ensure water was not getting in anyway so it's not your fault.

4. NLC21

NLC21 New Member

Thank you Sctomac and KIAB I'll work with our builder to ensure that we wait till this drys out before it's closed up inside.

5. Scotmac

Scotmac Member

No problem. I don't imagine it will take too long to dry once it's water tight. Good luck

6. Hi NLC.

I wouldn't be pedantic about it - these roof voids are designed to be ventilated and allow any moisture such as from rain ingress or condensing moisture from the house below to be dried off.

I agree I wouldn't like to board over soaking wet timbers, but provided it's well on its way to drying out, it should be fine - it'll carry on drying fully afterwards.

There is no risk of long term issues such as 'rot' - rot requires long-term dampness. Possibly some short term ones like a a damp stain coming through your new ceiling if the timbers were still soaking. But even then unlikely.

All the same, I wouldn't like to think that wet timbers were being boarded over - virtually dry is ok.

Astramax and KIAB like this.
  7. NLC21

NLC21 New Member

Ok thanks, I'm trying not to be pedantic about it as I'm not in the building trade just seeking second view point as reassurance their was no risk of structural damage or rot risk. Better safe then sorry. Well wait till they are virtually dry before covering.

Thank you for the feedback.