Ceiling Joists

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by oggy376, Jul 7, 2016.

1. oggy376

oggy376 Member

Doing some work on an old extension and on pulling the ceiling down to replace it, the missus has walked in and said oh I like the open roof space 'barn type look'

So my question is, is it possible to either remove every second ceiling joist and transfer the load somehow to the remaining ones or move the ceiling joists further up the rafters while still doing their job of stopping rafters from spreading.
    Just looking for opinions on wether this is possible before forking out for a structural engineer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not worth the expense & hassle.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The timbers look like they have been re-used from a prefabricated roof.

KIAB likes this.
  4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

An option would be to install a steel ridge beam, may need a SE to calculate sizes, is there a wall at either end?

Then could do away of the joists altogether.

Rafter may need increasing in size also.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A lot of work, a lot of hassle & a large bill for the work,structal engineer,etc, just to tart up a room.:confused:

6. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

now you know why you should make sure you get rid of the missus while you do these things,it works out cheaper and easier.It would cost a fair bit to do what you want to do,probably at least a couple of grand.

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easily, also depends what horrors you may find during the work, so a contingency fund is essential, say another thousand.
    And just looking at 1st photo's starts alarm bells ringing.

philthespark likes this.
  8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

May not require ridge beam, as there are already steels at either side. While the steels are exposed I would get SE to confirm that the bearings are OK (doesn't look like pad stone).

KIAB likes this.
  9. oggy376

oggy376 Member

Had hoped there might be an easy and inexpensive fix, but looks like I'll have to send her out and get the ceiling back up pronto

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Beam support looks a right mess left side in 1st photo.

In fact both beams look a mess, now I zoomed in:), prehaps I'm too fussy, too old school.:oops:

11. oggy376

oggy376 Member

I had wondered about that, pad stones have been used. Wondering if it's worth getting builder back?

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would look at getting an SE to go over, might be expensive but worth the cost.

There are pad stones available in 300x330mm in 215 and 140mm thicknesses. This means it would spread across both inner and outer cavities.

Looks like they have infilled the cavity with block work to one pier? the other side is a better, but still no padstone.

KIAB likes this.
  13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That was one of the first things I noticed, but kept quiet. :oops:

KIAB likes this.
  14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would like to go something like this.

[​IMG]

oggy376 and KIAB like this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

My problem is I'm too fussy, I'm old school like to use padstones, etc, but today some builders just bed steel straight on engineering bricks base pier.:(

Agree with Jit, worthwhile getting SE to have a nosey.

16. oggy376

oggy376 Member

Bit concerned now, is it SE or local building inspector I should contact. I've been made aware SE could be anything between £500-£1200.
    I guess as the builders been paid, if SE isn't happy its up to builder if he comes back to make good or not.

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Was the extension carried out under building control? looks like it may have been built pre 2008? or earlier as doesn't have breathable felt.

Having a sloped ceiling would be the best option. it would need insulation adding.

18. oggy376

oggy376 Member

Not sure about building control, the newspapers stuffed into cavity around the old window :rolleyes: suggest 1996

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

May be worth ringing building control, they may do a free initial visit. But certainly wouldn't be a full fee.

The insulation would need to be done allowing 50mm airflow. Then over boarded with another layer of insulation. They may tell you what u value is needed.

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Spent nearly £1000 on SE for steel sizes and splice connections for loft conversion. (no site visit).