Ceiling light switch won't turn on off!?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Gib Keight, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Gib Keight

Gib Keight New Member

My ceiling light switch ain't working. I've connected the wires. Have,from the lamp, black blue & the earth wire. Connected the earth to earth wire, blue to blue & there's 3 reds from the ceiling. Connected those reds to the black wire from the fixture. Hope anyone can help please.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Post a pic of your wiring make it much easier to see what's going on.

3. Gib Keight

Gib Keight New Member

I'll post a pic for u soon as I return home. What u reckon based on my description I tried to make it simple as. There was a black wire with black tape over it, is this the switch wire or live wire? It's only one not connected to anything.

4. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Sounds like you have bypassed the switch wiring.
    You should not connect any wire from the light fitting to the Reds in the ceiling.
    It could well be possible that the spare Black wire you mention is the wire you need to connect to?
    You say you connected Blue to Blue, which is a little confusing considering that you have 3 red wires.
    You should have either Red and Black, or Brown and Blue, not Red and Blue.
    I would suggest that you check the colour of the wires behind your light switch, you should have from what you have described, a red and a black wire.

5. Gib Keight

Gib Keight New Member

Ok thanks. So I need to connect the spare black with that tape on it to...??? I'll check again when am home. U say not to connect the 3reds as I did,the light worked but problem was the switch didn't work. I'll see what's behind the switch. There was 3 separate cables each spliced coming out of the ceiling. Pretty sure the wires were 3reds 1 earth 1 black with tape.

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Black with red tape should be the switch wire. Three reds go in common, black with red tape in L1 or L2 whichever its labelled up.

7. Gib Keight

Gib Keight New Member

Thanks for reply it has no terminal block it's old fashion light fixture. Just a single wire connector on each wire that's came out of ceiling.

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Then either the wiring must have been changed somewhere, Or, the light must have been continually on before.
    Old fitting you say, broken connection inside somewhere?, duff lamp?, no lamp!, either way incoming L,N and earth now, incoming L,N and earth then.

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

POST SOME PHOTOS

[​IMG]

FatHands likes this.
  10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

But my dining room is in between the kitchen and the lounge-the kitchen has a strip light and two switches, so that pic has utterly confused me now!!!:confused:

Mr. HandyAndy - Really