Ceilings or floors??

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ghost-1, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

I am having a full rewire job on my house........(3 bed terrace)

Anyway, do you sparks prefer to work down or up??

Meaning, floors ups or ceilings down.

Most of the upstairs has laminate flooring, and big wardrobes, so ceilings down (kitchen, dining room, & living room) would be easier, albeit messy.......

I am going to do the labouring, ceilings down, chase out as and where, and re board and get plastered. Any idea on ballpark quotes I should be getting??

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Usually ceiling down on ground floor and floor up on 1st floor, ie all cables are under floorboards upstairs, laminate, big wardrobes etc etc can make it a tad more awkward, obviously it all depends on house layout though.

Ghost-1 likes this.
  3. Ray Retired

Ray Retired Active Member

Me thinks if a leccy wanted ceilings down ground floor AND floor up on't 1st floor...

He's gotta be one o'those sorts that wears a ten gallon hat wi' a horse tied up outside! :)

Ghost-1 likes this.
  4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Rulland, that doesn't make sense :)

If I had the choice of a ceiling coming down or the floor coming up, it would be the ceiling every time. So much quicker, you can gain far more access.

Ghost-1 likes this.
  5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

:cool:Lol lads, I think that my reply was actually a tad confusing after re reading the OP.
    Yep obviously if laminate etc etc, then ceiling down is the route to take.
    My original reply was just stating how one would 'chase' to access the 1st floor void, and I have known people to chase down from the loft for sockets as well.
    Morning all.

Ghost-1 likes this.
  6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

If the ceilings are old and knackered like lath and plaster it makes so much sense to drop them instead of moving furniture, carpets and floor boards up, probably works out cheaper too. Even better if you can crawl round under the ground floor as well.

Tell your customer to pull them down though and they look at you like you are quite mad. I know it can be messy but its only a once in a lifetime job, although they would much prefer to see you lugging a triple wardrobe round the room full to the brim of their tat.

Ghost-1 likes this.
  7. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Ceilings down are a change from sore knees, however, not all items of access can be done as said I think

Movng furniture is something I DO NOT do, all items of large furniture must be removed or costing would be applied,we do not work for Pickfords

Ghost-1 likes this.
  8. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

I'm the customer by the way, and I did think it would be easier and quicker for the spark to do his stuff, and hopefully just short chases to sockets upstairs. (It's all ok decoration wise). Egg box walls upstairs as well....or wotever they are called.

I going to do the donkey work, in as much as ripping ceilings, chasing out etc etc, in the hope of getting a hefty £££ off the bill?

No way around having to redecorate the whole downstairs.......which the wife will want done yesterday. :)

I just wanted to move house instead.

9. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Anyone have any links to good sites for ceiling lights?