Central heating, advice needed - please help or tell me where to f off to!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by coldandskint, Sep 23, 2012.

1. coldandskint

coldandskint New Member

Hi All

I'm not in the trade at all so if I am unwelcome please point me in the right direction regarding a more suitable website/forum!

Just got back from camping (with son on beaverscout camp), chilled to the bone, to find I can't get heating on. Our boiler is a Bosch Worcester 28CDI, approx 7 years old and we think this is sound. Our thermostat says acl Drayton on the front and on taking it off the wall says RTS 1 T45 on the back (and warranty expires 7/97!), we think this is slightly less sound! - particularly given that it was probably fitted to work with a potterton puma(?) which was installed by previous home owner and died soon after we moved in.

The boiler is heating water fine but the thermostat is not clicking on or off and from what we understand from the manual there is "no demand" for central heating (there bloody well is!!!) which is why we think its the thermostat. All the pressure guages on the boiler seem to say what they should say.

Is there any way of getting the boiler to over-ride the thermostat and heat the radiators when we tell it too in the short term and, if not/longer term solution, is there a thermostat that will fit the wall fixing for the old one? I fear it may take a while to get a plumber out at the moment as I believe it gets busy at this time of year and if it is something simple I could really do without the callout fee.

Sincere thanks if you could give advice/point me in the right direction

Cold and skint

2. Hi C&S.

You also have a timer/clock there somewhere? Or is it just the room stat, and you simply turn the heating on with this as required?

I ask, 'cos it could also be the timer wot's faulty. Yes, older electro-mechanical room 'stats do go 'click' at the room temp, but I'm not familiar with yours. And it could also be a stuck port valve if there's one fitted.

Anyways, you wanna by-pass the room 'stat? Well, do ya, pun... Oops. Got carried away. Well, it will at least show whether it's that wot's at fault.

Ok, are you 'competent'? By that I mean if you remove the room 'stat and look at the wiring behind it, will you get yourself killed? No? Cool. Ok, do that.

There should be 3 coloured wires and an earth wire. Hopefully one is red (live - don't touch...) one is black (neutral - but you'd be daft to touch it) and one, ooh, a different colour, umm, yellow, perhaps? Don't touch that either 'cos it goes live when the 'stat goes 'clcik'. And an earth. Don't, you know.

If newer, the wires could instead be brown, blue and yellow (this is all guess work. - to the best of my feeble recollections)

Anyways, if you join the red and the yellow, or the brown and the yellow (ie: leave the neutral completely out of the equation)* then your CH should start up. You could fit a light switch there as a temp measure - when it gets too hot, send yer kid up to turn it off.

Ok, best thing is to have a lokksee and report back. Only do the above if you're certified insane and/or reckon you understand.

Any ordnary room stat will replace it, but consider fitting a programmable room 'stat if money aloows - they're about £35 upwards (go for a mains-powered one since you probably have the three wires there to do so...)

*For pity's sakes leave the 'earth' wire out of the equation too...

Best to have a lokksee and reprot back here, then we'll hold your hand.

3. Dafty DIYer

Dafty DIYer New Member

My car wouldn't start this morning due to the cold weather.

So I phoned up the AA and said "My car wont' start this morning so I'm going back on the drink

4. Dafty DIYer

Dafty DIYer New Member

Now that the cold weather as started to kick in, it really brought home the plight of homeless people sleeping on the streets at this time of the year.

And as I lay in my lovely warm bed. It really made me think............nite,nite........zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZ

5. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

Where us lucinda when you need her to put DA 'straight'
    He wants the cold blokes to send his kid up to play wiv the wires?

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

dafty, don't join that AA, I tried it once, you've gotta sit round a table drinking coffee, and when your turn comes you gotta tell everbody your life story,  So I stood up and said, " anyone coming 't pub", there was a stampede t'pub. I was very popular with the group, even the group leader said, " ok I'll just have the one", a week later they moved location and won't inform me where to.:(

7. Martin Connolly

Martin Connolly New Member

A bit of an old thread, but I thought I'd add my experiences.........
    The room thermostat is the first device in the chain coming out from the programmer. It is powered directly from the 240V output of the programmer's CH ON circuit, normally connected together via terminal 4 in the junction box. When the room temperature is cold enough for the thermostat to switch on, it 'Calls For Heat' by returning 240V up to terminal 5 in the junction box, thus passing the signal on to the next device (normally the mid-position valve).

If the thermostat doesn't click, it is not receiving power from the programmer, regardless of what the lights on the front of the programmer show. The clue in my case was that when I cycled the modes through 'On, Timed, Once, Off' I could hear a click from the programmer on the HW (hot water) side, but not the CH (central heating) side. It could be a faulty programmer, but it was only three years old.

It turned out to be a dodgy connection between the programmer and the wall-plate. I just removed the programmer, cleaned the connections - MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF FOR THIS! - and then re-connected it. Immediately, everything started clicking and heating as it should.

Hope this helps!

Martin

8. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

Haven't had Hanse to ready everyone's posts but a quick way to test if it's the stat is remove the stat and use a link wire between the live and switch live (number 1 for live and 3for switch live-if I recall correctly) if the boiler fires up now then the stat was broken

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Basically 'short' the stat out, ie calling for heat continually, me thinks that after 5 years it has been sorted, well one would hope so.

Plumberbish likes this.
  10. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

Hahah I didn't even look at the date!! Yeah exactly by-pass the stat!!

Rulland likes this.