Central heating direction of flow

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Morley, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Morley

Morley Guest

I am about to add a radiator to the central heating system in my new dining room. The plumber has left me 2 tails poking through the ceiling with a couple of isolator valves to allow me to put in my own pipe work and radiator.

My problem is, if I want a TRV on the radiator I think I need to know the direction of flow for the TRV to work correctly. Bearing in mind that I currently have 2 terminated tails, how can I prove the direction of flow prior to adding the pipework, radiator and TRV?

I get the feeling I am going to have to pull up floor boards and stuff:-(

2. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Simple! - just put a bi directional TRV in - most of them are now anyway.

You can tell if they are bi directional because they will have 2 arrows pointing in opposite direction on the metal body of the valve.

Leave you floor boards alone!!

3. tgs

tgs New Member

Put the central heating on and feel the pipes. The flow is the one that gets warm first.

It is possible to get TRVs that just don't care about direction. Honeywells's are one but there are others. Ask at a plumber's merchants about these.

4. Morley

Morley Guest

I was aware that most TRV's could go either on the inlet or outlet of the radiator but only as long as the direction of flow was correct. Now I know that some are able to cope with flow in either direction, I'll track some down.

Thanks for your help.

5. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

it would've been very easy for your plumber to have left the pipes marked the F&R.

6. Morley

Morley Guest

Its not easy to get my plumber to do anything. Turning up would be a bonus. This is the reason that after 8 months I am having to fit the radiator myself.

I work in computers and to be honest, I wouldn't want to go and fix his computer anymore than he wants to service my boiler or fit a new radiator.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

The bi-directional valves can have a tendancy to 'sing' when installed on the return though so better to put on flow if you can identify.

8. facilities

facilities Guest

hi' i am not a professsional plumber, but could you not link up the two tails with perhaps plastic plumbing open the isolator valves and as tgs as said the one that warms first is the flow.

9. Stench

Stench Member

****'s sake! Just use a bi-directional TRV as per advice. Job could 've been done by now.