Central Heating Expansion Tank Hot

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Swiss Tony, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

I have noticed that the water in the expansion tank is very hot.

Looking today, I saw that the vent pipe terminates underneath the water and I suspect that it is causing its own circulation?

Should i ignore it, or should I cut the vent pipe shorter so it sits above the water?

Swizz

2. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

cutting the vent is like making love to a buitifull woman :) ...yes tony cut the pipe, this MAY stop the circulation, but at least you will see then if the pump is overpumping, if its still running turn the pump to a lower setting.

3. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName New Member

What sort of tank is it?

A baby was killed not so long ago when a faulty heating system "pumped over" into a plastic expansion tank. The tank eventually softened due to the heat and it collapsed dumped a ton of boiling water on the kid.

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Get your facts straight!

That was the main CWS storage tank collapsing after a faulty immersion boiled over! NOT the same thing.

Do as Tom says, cut or lift the vent out of the water.

5. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

Cheers guys, cut the pipe back and it seems better.

Next problem though!

Just fitted a new vertical rad in extension bedroom, and I noticed this morning a wheezing sound inside it. Every 30 seconds it let out a long 'sigh'.

I thought it was the misses heavy breathing again and thought my luck was in, but alas, it was the rad.

Any ideas?

Swizz

6. rome60

rome60 New Member

The vent being submerged will be the problem it as created a circulation,probably the vent has slipped needs clipping.;)

7. rome60

rome60 New Member

When you have sorted the vent,the radiator should be ok.

8. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

check vent then bleed again.

9. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

No, it has only happened since I lifted the vent above the water!

There does seem to be quite a bit of air gurgling its way around the system, so I will keep bleeding it for the next few days and then ask again if I am woken by heavy breathing and sighing again.

Swizz

10. paaulyb

paaulyb New Member