Central heating install again.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Pawr, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Pawr

Pawr Member

So I'm currently on with installing the heating side which I've posted about on here before. My question is, do the 22mm flow and return need to run the full length of the house? The boiler will be placed upstairs in the middle bedroom if you will, it's only a small house. The bathroom and conservatory are below this bedroom so I can drop through Floor and hide behind the kitchen walls as this is yet to be plastered. There will be a radiator in the bedroom with the boiler and also the room next to it which are short runs under the floor. The living room and hall radiator pipes will be run under the stairs which is also off this bedroom which only leaves one radiator to be fed to the front of the house. So could I just run the 22mm pipes the length of this small room and reduce to 15mm on the ends and run those through the wall to the last radiator? Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't see a problem, it's alway good pratice to use 22mm as much as possible, system becomes more efficient & keep 15mm for short runs & drops to radiators.
    And insulate the pipes,pointless heating a void.

3. Pawr

Pawr Member

I've just measured and the 22mm would run 3.5m with tees in to feed the 6 rads then reduce to 15mm through wall to feed one more rad. That 15mm run would be 3m to the rad. The longest run to the hallway in 15mm from one of the tees will be 5m. Is this okay? The 15mm will be plastic

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The problem with 15mm plastic,you only have a bore of 10mm -11mm,should be ok, but I'm not that familar with plastic,I'm old school,prefer my copper.:D

5. Pawr

Pawr Member

Ideally it would be copper but thought it would be easier in plastic so bought the stuff before realising the bore gets reduced. It's now too late to return. Seeing as I'm going to put the 22in myself I may have a go at doing that in copper as it doesn't have to pass through any joists. I only decided to put the heating pipework in myself because to save money and because it would be have been awkward for the umbels to hide it all like I wanted. Surely with such a small system the pipe should be okay?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should be perfectly ok.

P:S: And don't forget the inserts.:)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    CGN likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. Pawr

Pawr Member

Yup inserts have been bought and all parts and pipes are jg branded.i will be doing the radiator tails in chrome then connecting with compression fittings. It just scares me having such a short run of 22mm and having all my 15mm feeds so close together. I don't know why.

9. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

I'm happy using HEP, don't use speedfit because as others have said, the bore gets restricted by the inserts.
    But HEP inserts don't reduce the pipe bore so much.

10. Pawr

Pawr Member

I already have all the jg and its been opened so going to have to run with that now. Hopefully it will be okay as system is quite small.