Central heating pump not working after returning from holiday

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by BrenWeb, Sep 14, 2014.

1. BrenWeb

BrenWeb New Member

Hello,

Just returned from holiday to find that the central heating pump is not working. I have been researching all day and have performed some troubleshooting already. The pump itself (multihead III) was working fine before we left and the only thing that I did unusually, was to turn the stop cock off prior to leaving. Not sure what the official name for our system is, however it comprises of of an immersion heater, F & E tank, three way valve, gas boiler etc.

I am still getting hot water, however the radiators are not heating up at all. The pump is silent (usually there is a least a low humming noise). I have checked that power is getting to the pump and that seems fine and I have bled it and manually turned the spindle, however it is an odd mechanism and am not sure if I have done it correctly. (You have to unscrew the bolt, then it is supposed to 'engage' the spindle but it was hard to tell if it was the bolt that was turning or the spindle as well).

My last ditch option prior to changing out the pump is that there is an airlock in the system, however haven't located the radiator bleed key to check yet. Even if there was air in the system I'm not if this would completely kill the pump? (i.e. No noise at all)

Forgot to say the F & E tank is full and the ball cock works fine.

Any advice welcomed, thanks

2. meady

meady Member

The pump has probably jammed, give it a bit of a tap whilst it should be running and it should go free

3. BrenWeb

BrenWeb New Member

Thanks, just tried tapping it again (from a few directions) and still nothing.

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

here Brenweb, hope this helps,,,

BrenWeb likes this.
  5. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Nice clip as usual TP. My experience of old pump valves though is that 50% of them don't work very well and the rest let reasonable quantities of water past even when screwed right down. So taking the pump head off could result in a lot of (dirty) water going everywhere. Be warned BrenWeb! Maybe you could set up a webcam and post what happens......good luck

BrenWeb likes this.
  6. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Check your roomstat Brenweb.
    Tappy,

7. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Brenweb said he had got power to it....
    But good call, turn the stat up to maximum.

8. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

If you have hot water pump must be running unless immersion is on, select HW demand only, take bleed screw right off pump ( you may want to acquire a water catching device i.e bucket )
    Put a screwdriver in the hole slowly, if it's working you will feel it vibrate,
    Then put htg demand on see if valve moves over, if not remove head & see if motor moves on/off demand, if it does & pump runs, turn valve body spindle manually to see if stuck. Are you sure you had htg prior to holiday?
    Then do htg only etc etc,

9. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

When doing hw demand run hot tap enough to bring cyl stat on incase satisfied. Check power to stat & out etc etc

10. BrenWeb

BrenWeb New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have a room thermostat, however have TRV on all radiators and I have boosted them up to max. still has no effect on the pump.

I tried again to manually turn the spindle and am pretty sure I got it this time, and now don't think the pump is jammed

I have hot water as the immersion is also electric (which is on all the time), I have an ongoing problem with the valve which leaks into the heaters during summer when the heating is off but water is on from the boiler.

Heating was definitely working before I went on holiday/turned the water off.

Bought a new pump today as I can't spend too much time without Central heating (two young kids and a mrs in the house!) however just wanted to make sure I had covered everything before I (attempt to) fit it :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  11. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Yes your pump sounds knackered.;)

BrenWeb likes this.
  12. BrenWeb

BrenWeb New Member

Ok, job done! New pump successfully fitted. I was lucky in the fact that the ISO valves held great, however struggled getting the nuts off due to rust (hammer and chisel job).

Radiators didn't heat up to start with so bled them all, and put the pump power up to full for a while. Seems to be working ok.

Wife and kids now happy :)

(I think I'll open up the old pump just out of curiosity)

Thanks for all the advice guys.

13. plumberboy

Your welcome, see I was right...it was knackered.;)

14. BrenWeb

BrenWeb New Member

Haha yep......just like me now! ;)

15. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Wayy hayyy well done Bren, and thanks for coming back to let us know, ;)

BrenWeb likes this.
  16. plumberboy

Knackered, but a happy family.:)

BrenWeb likes this.
  17. BrenWeb

BrenWeb New Member

Don't know how you guys can do it for a job.....bloody stressful! :)

plumberboy likes this.
  18. plumberboy

Its a doddle,sometimes.:eek:

19. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

and sometimes its a night mare, I went to a leak coming through the ceiling today, the bathroom is above and after checking all the obvious things i sussed it was a copper pipe leaking, the bathroom floor was plastic clad covered, once that stuff is down it won't come up without ruining it, so i went from underneath and cut out a square of ceiling, the leak was a copper pipe with a flaw in the copper and it was dripping constantly, it was between 2 joists too close to get in and fix from below so i had to inform the customer the bathroom floor will have to come up, So i was all day taking out the toilet,ripping up the floor and the boards underneath being carefull not to cut through any other pipes just to cut out the section of pipe that was leaking, it took 10 miutes to cure the leak but all day getting to it and putting things back, but the bathroom floor is now ruined, and I'm knackered, I've been running up and down like a two year old all day carrying tools,drills,saws, and all sorts of stuff, then fixing the floor as best as i could then cleaning up and carrying stuff back to the van 20 yards up the street cos she would't move her 2 cars off the drive and after all that said " what about my floor and cieling, are you gonna fix it" :mad:

20. plumberboy

I know where your coming from Tom some customers and jobs test you to the limit,I hope my key ring kept a smile on your face.;)