Central heating system making loud 'vibrating noise'

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ThreadJacker, Oct 25, 2008.

1. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

I was in a house the other day fitting a Grohe rain shower and tiling, while I was there I noticed the central heating was making a loud vibrating - kind of deap rumbeling noise (not all the time and not connected with anything I'd done). When I asked them about it they said "yes I have to turn the room stat down in a morning then it stops"
    I haven't tried to solve it or anything - I havent really been asked to but I'm going back in a couple of weeks to do another job and would like to sort it out for them (or diagnose the problem) as they are such a nice family and are very good to me.

They said they have bled all the rads and its an open vented system.

2. bettyswallocks

bettyswallocks New Member

sounds like you may have a trv on the wrong way round.

3. ThreadJacker

MMM....interesting, don't forget this heating system wasn't installed or has ever been toucheh by me.
    I there was a TRV on the wrong way why would it cause such a noise?
    I heard the noise myself and it didn't really sound like it was coming from one peticular rad , just 'all over'.

4. rome60

rome60 New Member

Could be a number of things Pipes tight near pump causing vibration,pump speed to high,pipes further down the line loose,TRV remove sensor head & ask customer if noise happen in morning.Also if pump is old & shaft is worn that can cause rumbling & rattling.

5. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

If a uni-directional TRV is fitted with reverse flow, there is usually no problem until the head starts to close the valve. Then, the water gets above the plunger, pushes it closed, pressure equalises, opens the valve as far as the head allows it and the whole process happens again.Sounds like a machine gun sometimes.
    Martin

6. ThreadJacker

They say the noise stops when they turn the room stat down, I dont know if they turn it back up though.

7. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

Turning down the room stat stops the pump, so it will stop.
    Martin