Central Heating

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Bruceyboy64, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Bruceyboy64

Bruceyboy64 New Member

Hi All, My question relates to ability of increasing the pumping capacity, (of our current household heating system), for pushing hot water around the whole (added to) original installation.

Details: We have a MegaFlow system approx 7 years old, fitted to give the extra hot water/heating supply, necessary for an extension put on the house.
    About 4 years ago, i installed some heated (composite) skirting board to our conservatory, giving a total run (around 3 walls / flow and return) of appx 7-8 mtrs in length. This was simply connected/added, to the existing central heating pipes. As the conservatory is at the very end of the existing pipework, and furthest away from the boiler (which is situated in the loft), there is insufficient flow in the existing pipework to ensure the hot water gets pushed into and around the pipes in the conservatory, (situated at the rear of the house), resulting in the skirting not getting hot at all.

This is then a waste of money, as i instead have to use a stand alone, oil burning electric radiator/heater in the room to keep it warm.

So i want to know; is it possible to fit an additional (booster pump/appliance) somewhere, (maybe downstairs or where the pipework into the conservatory starts), to ensure that the hot water is pumped all the way round the feed and return/heated skirting in the conservatory ? Thus ensuring that the hot water gets to the pipework, getting it as hot as it should be, to be efficient and heat the room ?

Any advice on this would be gratefully received.

I am not a Plumber or Central Heating guy, i'm a retired joiner, but do not do pipework lol....

Kind Regards, Bruce.

2. Was your system 'balanced' after these new skirting rads were added, to ensure that all the rads in your house received an even flow?

3. Bruceyboy64

Bruceyboy64 New Member

Hi Devil's Advocate, thanks for your reply. As Far As i know, the system was bled after installation, but still failed to operate properly.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could have dislodged crud in the heating system,whch has slow flow down a bit, do you have a Magnaclean fillter or any type of filter on CH system.

5. Bleeding and balancing are different things.

The rads closest to the boiler (and pump) will obviously receive a more powerful flow, so if you imagine that first rad being left FULLY open at both ends, the rads beyond this would be deprived, like me.

So, after the initial CH install, the plumber should start at the first rad and tweak down the 'lockshield' valve until that rad has a temp drop of around 11oC (I think?) across it. Then he moves on to the next. and the next. Until they are all done.

So, all the rads receive an 'equal' flow depending on their requirements.

If you then add a further significant 'rad' at the very end of that circuit, then don't be surprised if it doesn't get much of a flow, 'cos all the other rads are pinching it before it gets there. The answer is to rebalance the system so that all the rads - including the new - care getting what they need.

The first test to do is to shut off a few rads closest top the boiler and see if the new skirting rad now heats up properly. If it does, chances are you chust need a 'balance'. If it does not, chances are it's a blockage or summat as KIAB says.

Most pumps should cope with large systems, so I doubt if that's the issue. What make and model of boiler do you have?

(And, who installed that skirting rad? And did he know you are not meant to connect your house's CH to a connie? :))

6. As far as I know, regs prohibit the house's CH system to be used to heat a connie. I'm guessing it's 'cos of the stupid heat loss in connies - energy efficiency requirements, that sort of thing.

That's my understanding - I'm pretty sure it used to be the case at least.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A conservatory should not be linked to the main heating system (but may have a stand-alone heater to provide a low-level background heat).

8. Bruceyboy64

Bruceyboy64 New Member

Thanks again. What do you mean by a Connie ? I fitted the heated skirting, the instructions were easy to follow with diagrams and it is all push connectors. There are no leaks anywhere. On reflection, i can confirm that the radiators were not balanced and i do not feel competent in attepting that either lol...

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Uneducacated oik, he can't spell conservatory...:p

10. Bruceyboy64

Bruceyboy64 New Member

When i say conservatory, it is a brick walled room, with the end wall and right wall bricked upto 4'-0" in height and then the UPVC windows and roof atop of that. The left hand wall is an extension of the party wall and cieling height. The skirting is located along the bottom of the brickwork on all (3) walls. I chewcked everything out with the manufacturer of the skirting before purchasing, with their approval that is was quite suitable for the job. That's all i know really.

11. Bruceyboy64

Bruceyboy64 New Member

Yes i understand that the two are different and can confirm that the radiators were not balanced.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't be define as a conservatory in my view, is roof clear?

13. Bruceyboy64

Bruceyboy64 New Member

Yes again, on reflection i remember that the rads were not balanced..

14. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

Even if you balanced the system perfectly, you will still not be able to get enough heat in there in the winter without resorting to using an additional electric heater or similar.

15. Bruceyboy64

Bruceyboy64 New Member

I do not know the name and make of the boiler other than it is a Mega Flow and was a top of the range appliance when purchased/installed.

16. Bruceyboy64

Bruceyboy64 New Member

Its clear in the sense that it is poly carbonate panels, so lets the light and heat in, but they are not transparent. For all intent though, it is a conservatory type room if thats any clearer and it actually acts as our dining room.

17. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

Even if you balanced the system perfectly, you will still not be able to get enough heat in there in the winter without resorting to using an additional electric heater or similar. Actually, your system will generally take longer to get up to temperature as the colder water from the conservatory is dragged around the system.

18. The 'Megaflow' part is, I presume, separate - that's the pressurised hot water cylinder that is supplied by the boiler. The boiler is the boiler, and that could be beside the hot cylinder or located somewhere else. Do you know where?

Ok, once you find it, read what it says on the front, or behind a pop-open panel.

You haven't tried the 'shut off half a dozen other rads to see if the connie ones heat up' test yet, then?

And - let's get this straight - you installed this new skirting rad? Are you 100% certain you connected it in to a flow and return pipe, and did not cut and 'insert' it in to a single pipe?

19. What output in watts or btu's should this length of skirting provide?

Perhaps it's working ok - but chust ain't powerful enough.

Och, the possibilities are endless...

KIAB likes this.
  20. Bruceyboy64

Bruceyboy64 New Member

Ok, but why do you say that ? I have seen and felt the heat of these heated skirtings in a similar room and the heat they throw out is quite impressive..
    That said, there will always be cold air coming in because the windows and roof panels are not as well insulated as ordinary windows etc that are encased in brickwork..I am just trying to get the skirting to heat up to the temperature it should reach given the right provision...