CH pressure high

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Not the usual "my boiler pressure has dropped" thread but the opposite problem. I recently fitted a Magnaclean and added the appropriate Sentinel additives X100 & X900, set the boiler/CH pressure to 1.5 bar.

I noticed last night that the pressure had increased to nearly 2.5 bar and can't help wonder why this might be. The filler pipe valves are turned off as far as I know. I bled some rads to reduce the pressure back down to 1.5bar, noticed a bit of fizzing so wonder if there is a bit of effervescence that's caused the pressure increase.

Boiler is a Worcester Bosch System (Greenstar?) 18KW I think.

Thoughts?

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Dr b ,is pressure increase when boiler c / h is on or off ? if rising when boiler is on heating c/h ,its nowt to worry about , as long as it doesn't rise over 2.5 bar. if its rising when boiler is cold ,then suspect filling loop is letting by or gauge is iffy.

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Boiler pressure remains pretty steady whether on or off. It might be that I have a minuscule leak in the filling loop/valves, but both valves would have to be leaking for this to happen - its been around 3 months since I last touched it. Will keep an eye on it.

4. By 'fizzing' do you mean some air came out the bleed valves? If so, make sure you bleed them all.

Get the pressure down to 1 bar - 1.2 bar, I really don't think any more than this is necessary for most systems, and the lower the pressure the less strain imo.

Then disconnect one loop end - isn't it easy to do?