CH Thermostat - Digital Or Mechanical?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Mar 29, 2015.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Afternoon guys. I need to replace my Honeywell T6360 as the knob has broken. I can either use the same type (or one like it) or use a digital stat. Are digital stats better then the mechanical type? Not worried about wiring it up or anything.

Thanks guys.

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Looks okay to me, bro. Nice neat little unit. :)

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Cheers Un - Un if you had a choice between fitting a digital or mechanical T Stat, what one would you use?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Digital.

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Keep with a 6360 JP, electronics has it's uses of course but not for a room stat in my opinion! So much stuff is being filled up with electronic carp these days and there really is no need for it!

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Sen

8. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I'm with Sen on this. I'd use a mechanical.
    Easy, quick and responsive. I don't care if it's not accurate. I either want the temperature up, down or right down to off. I don't want or need it set to a specific temperature to 1 decimal place.

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Digital has the benefit of showing you the actual current room temperature AND the target temperature. Some show both concurrently, while others only show the target while setting with the up/down buttons. They are also far more accurate.

Digital is the way to go IMO. I quite like the Siemens ones as they have a nice large easy to read screen.

If you're looking to replace, you could of course consider a programmable room stat. You need to latch your time clock onto permanent on, or bypass it. Programmable stats can be set to different temperatures at different times of the day, rather than just on/off. So set it at 15°C overnight, 20°C from 6am, 18°C during the day, 22°C for the evening. If you want to set "off" times, set the temp low.

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Don't you think life's complicated enough Lec these days without all that palaver?

11. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

LOL, the worst ones are the "learning" type.

You tell it you want it to come on at 6am for a temperature of 20°C. It does the first day. The next day it comes on earlier, and then next day earlier still, as it's "learning" how long it takes to get your home to 20°C. It assumes you want it to be 20°C at 6am, rather than simply turning on at 6am. This feature can be turned off in the settings, but it does drive a lot of users crazy, as you feel out of control.

I quite like the ability to be able to set different targets for different times of the day, you don't need it as warm in the morning as you do in the evening.

12. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I recently removed my digital therm and put back in a mech. one and a timer/contoller. Just too complicate but I agree if your a rocket scientist then it's the way to go.

seneca likes this.
  13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

JP, i remember a long time back you posted pictures of your extension, which had a Worcester Bosch boiler fitted. Does the boiler have the MT10 mechanical clock?

I would look at getting a Programmable room stat, a Honeywell CM907 would fit the bill.

Below is a wiring diagram for a WB combi boiler setup.

Worcester Bosch Boiler CM907.jpg

14. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

If all you want to do is turn the heating on or off, then a mechanical one is all you need.
    If however you want a bit more control then it has to be digital.
    Some can now be connected to the Internet, so you can access them via a smart phone, tablet, etc from just about anywhere.