Chainsaw problem

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by proby, Apr 6, 2017.

1. proby

proby Active Member

My old saw Chinese :oops: is playing up and it has been a good saw so I'm reluctant to sling it.
    What's started happening out of the blue is it starts ok but dies when you try to rev it, I thought it might be the carb so for a tenner I got a new one, same happens. Cleaned the air filter, muffler, changed the fuel line and filter. Looked online might be the mixture tried altering it no joy, there is some unburnt fuel coming out of the muffler which seems to indicate it's the mixture but altering it seems to make no difference any ideas.

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Dynamite it

3. Sounds like fuel supply problem if it dies when revved. Air leak maybe? Fuel pump?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Usually there is a filter attached to end of a small length of fuel hose within fuel tank, can become blocked, or this hose can split, so fuel never leave the fuel tank, it is drawn up a few inches before exiting in split back into fuel tank.
    See it a lot on strimmers/brushcutters.

This what it can look like.

[​IMG]

5. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

agree with KIAB esp if you've put a new carb on and have exactly the same symptoms

6. proby

proby Active Member

I replaced the fuel pipe and filter same time as the carb, had a split fuel pipe in the past.

7. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Send it to Pres' Trump, his Chinese mate will help you out.

any ideas. Could be a faulty carb, just like the original one??

When running spray some WD40 around the carb & intake area. If you have an air leak the WD40 will show it up.
    It will alter the running. Will need another person to spray for you, but make sure you have gloves on, & water close bye.
    Not for the faint hearted.
    WD 40 is flammable.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For heaven's sake. New spark plug!

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I thought op had mentioned he replaced it, but rereading his post he didn't.:oops::confused:

10. it starts ok, when the plug is under most pressure, but dies when revved.

Normal reason for dying then is too little, or too much, petrol

11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Is the fuel fresh? It doesn't have a great shelf life which may be causing some issues.

12. proby

proby Active Member

Only about a month old but I have run out so will need to get some.

13. proby

proby Active Member

I appreciate the input but man you need to chill a bit, fires up no problem so I think the plug is ok.

14. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

When you start it, will it tick over by its self on and off choke.

15. proby

proby Active Member

Yes ticks over ok problem is when you try to rev it it just dies

16. Phil the Paver

Well you've covered most things, the only real thing left that could cause the problem is lack of compression, this is quite common on cheap Chinese engines, they wear very quickly.

17. Mr. Handyandy

Or weak spark!

18. Phil the Paver

This month old petrol, was it pre mixed a month ago.

19. Mr. Handyandy

Spark plug. Put a new one in, and be careful with your new machine!

Spark plug has to work much harder when revved. Weak spark will idle, but flood and stop when revved.

20. proby

proby Active Member

No it was only mixed up when I needed it, strange thing is it's worked great since I bought it about four years ago never missed a beat and that was just using cheap 2 stroke oil the last mix I used Stihl. Pulling the starter slowly it seems to have decent compression.