Challenging soil pipe and toilet move... can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rahaaas, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Rahaaas

Rahaaas New Member

We've got a soil pipe in the floor, with the current toilet (unusually) having a right-bend into the stack, with an AAV on top. There's also a collar with wastes from the bath, sink and overflow.

It currently requires quite a lot of boxing to conceal. I'd like to move the toilet to the right (so you can actually open the door...), and I'm sure there's an elegant solution out there.

IMG_1414s.jpg

Could the toilet go direct into the stack (via a swept T fitting and a swan-neck), with the AAV being moved to the right-hand side of the new toilet position (or even into the bath cavity, just out of picture on the right..?). The sink and bath waste could then join on the other side.

Or could we use separate AAVs on the bath and sink traps instead? Does there have to be an AAV on the main stack?

A bit of boxing is obviously inevitable (our fitter is very concerned about going into the floor or walls, for better or worse), but the alternative seems to be a huge cabinet or a false wall...

(Just to clarify, there's absolutely no way the stack can be vented outside on this installation, but it leads into a chamber, with has several external stacks already.)

2. A further, wider, photo would, I think, help.

But, are you suggesting moving that toilet pan to directly in front of that waste pipe, so sitting in front of the boxing-in?

If so, I can't see any possible reason why not. That existing tee would just have to be turned 90o anti.

But I chust know I'm missing something... :rolleyes:

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I bet those cork tiles smell really nice whilst the poor plumbers down there on his knees ......................................:eek:

4. Rahaaas

Rahaaas New Member

Thanks DA... the whole lot's actually coming out (including the rank cork tiles, yes!), so either in front of (if it'll fit with a close-coupled unit to the wall, rather than end up in the middle of the floor), or to the right, of the waste pipe, and ideally moving or replacing the AAV to make it less of a space hog. The plan is to get the least amount of re-boxing / visible pipework afterwards...

Here are a couple of other photos:

IMG_1403.jpg IMG_1416.jpg

Thanks for the observations thus far!

5. HOWD PLUM

HOWD PLUM New Member

it will not work if you turn junction 90 degrees to fit c/c toilet in front of it. as there will be at least a300mm gap between cistern and wall. it will also look like wc pan sat in middle of bathroom floor you cant fit a c/c toilet to the110 soil coming up through floor as the center of soil pipe is to far away from back wall it needs to be100 mm center from wall to soil center

6. Rahaaas

Rahaaas New Member

Thanks Howd Plum... Thought that might be the case. Do you think it could go to the right hand side, with the AAV sited further along?

7. HOWD PLUM

HOWD PLUM New Member

it just depends how room there is between soil and bath plus the materials for it may cost from 60.00 or more .hears an idea could you not remove bathroom door and hang on other side so it open toward the bath then you do not need to move toilet

8. IMG_2379.JPG

Rahaaas, would having the loo out that far into the floor actually be an issue? I mean, space-wise? I ask, because you are clearly going to need some boxing in, and - frankly - low boxing like what you have now shouts 'hidden pipes'.

So, if the loo would be ok sticking out that bit more, I'd be tempted to build up that boxing to above cistern height and make a feature of it.

Will the loo go the the left of that stack, you ask? Dunno - you are the one with the tape measure! Ie - will it be too close to the bath?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014