Change Honeywell T40 thermostat for new digital type

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MartinLH, Aug 22, 2014.

1. MartinLH

MartinLH New Member

I currently have a Honeywell T40 Thermostat with the following connections

terminal 1 to live
    terminal 2 to neutral
    terminal 3 switched live
    terminal 4 not connected
    Earth is also connected.

The CH boiler is a Kingfisher Mf with pump and 7 day Honeywell ST6400C programmer.

I would like to replace it with a Horstmann Centaurstat 7 (part No 12157) but it has volt free contacts.
    Can I just connect terminals 1 and 3 plus isolate 2?
    I would really appreciate any help with this

Cheers

Rulland likes this.
  2. Yes :).

Since you have both live an neutral available, you could also chose a mains-powered prog stat so's you don't need to change batteries every year or so.

But, all good with your choice. Chust keep your current Honeywell on 24hr CH and let your new stat do the work.

3. MartinLH

MartinLH New Member

Cheers - Yes I did look around for mains one but the Horstmann is good value ( maybe not so much after 10 years of battery replacement) but it has got the one feature I like which is the ability to vary the temperature during the day.

Thanks for your kind help - really appreciate it.

:)

4. Tbh, it's not much of an issue to replace batteries as it should only need doing every year or two. There isn't a huge amount to chose between most prog stats except - as you've probably discovered - how easy they are to operate (and how many on/offs they have per day).

I think you'll find that they can all be manually adjusted to override the set temp when required, but some can be a pain; I have a Heatmiser (which is quite nice) but I need to remember which button to press after changing the temp to activate it, and it ain't obvious. Easy to forget when you haven't done it for a while... :oops: