Changing a combi boiler diverter valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ghekoman, Feb 26, 2012.

1. ghekoman

ghekoman New Member

Hello everyone - this is my 1st post so here goes...

I have a worcester bosch heatslave oil fired combi boiler and the diverter valve is sticking which means I have the heating coming on when it is not required or, the hot water doesn't work.

I know it is the valve because I can take the actuator off the spigot and tap it gently with a hammer to see it rise to its rightful position.

The fault is intermittant and i am getting a bit fed up with going outside to free the valve up.

My question is this.... Is it possible to drain just the boiler without the entire system so that I can replace the faulty diverter cartridge?

I can isolate the cold feed and I have found the drain off point at the bottom of the boiler. I cannot find any valves on the pipework that will allow me to isolate the boiler from the hot water and heating system.

I had thought of using a pipe freezer to allow me to cut out small sections from the pipes and install push fit cut off valves and, in this way I could keep the water in the system isolated whilst I drained the boiler and replaced the cartridge. I suppose this would also give an advantage when it comes to working on the boiler in the future.

I would imagine that the air in the system caused by draining the boiler could be purged through the taps and the radiators.

I have never drained an entire system completely and, it seems like a bit of a faff compared to fitting pushfit valves.

Any comments about this would be gratefully received.

Thanks
  2. graceland

graceland New Member

If you've got a freeze kit go for it, whats the worse that can happen lol