Changing a leaking tap on my central heating oil tank

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Len Powell, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Len Powell

Len Powell New Member

When the oil boiler was serviced the engineer found that the isolation valve (tap) had a small leak when it was turned off. Thankfully it did not leak when it was turned on for normal use. He stated that I should get it changed before the boiler is serviced next year, but suggested I wait until the tank was nearly empty before doing so.
    Can someone recommend someone who can do this job for me. I live between Bury St. Edmunds and Diss.
    Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.
    Len Powell.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easy enough to do it yourself,if your confident , I had leaking isolation valve at a previous place that had oil tank.
    Cost me about £15 for the valve, took about 30 minutes to change, did have to jack up the tank so any remaining oil went to the back.

A quick google fines this.

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/075.asp

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  3. Len Powell

Len Powell New Member

Hi Kiab, Thank you for responding. I was under the impression that I would have to get the oil that remained in the tank pumped into a different copntainer before I could take the faulty tap off.
    I will wait until the tank is nearly empty, then I will try to change the tap myself, after jacking up the front of the tank, as you have suggested. I will let you know how I get on.
    Wishing you a Merry Xmas. Len Powell.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

All depend how low you run the tank, I was lucky managed to nearly empty my tank, so only needed to raise it about 6", any higher & I risked it sliding off it's base.
    If tank had been fuller then I would have pumped so much to another container.

5. Len Powell

Len Powell New Member

Hi Kiab, I still have close to 400 litres in the tank so I will wait until it has reduced to a manageable level before I attempt to change the tap. I will try to get a replacement tap from the company that manufactured the tank then hopefully there will be no problem with replacing it. Any advice on what if anything I should use to seal the joints?
    Thanks for your interest and help.
    Len Powell.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some years since I did it, I just used PTFE tape for the tank connection, .
    I don't think I used anything for the compression fitting, can't remember, just don't over tighten it.
    A quick google suggest NO SEALANT on copper compression fittings for domestic oil lines.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  7. Len Powell

Len Powell New Member

Hi Kiab, Thanks again for your interest and help. My Watchmaster shows that I still have more than three hundred litres in the tank, so I will not attempt to do any more until it has reduced ssignificantly.
    Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year. Len Powell.