changing drills due to bad batterries.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by joinerjon83, May 20, 2015.

1. joinerjon83

joinerjon83 New Member

Right im fed up of having to replace my makita 18v lithium ion batteries all the time having replaced 4 over the past 5yrs.
    i am looking to change my makita drill for something else (milwaukee maybe?)
    But i dont really know what... any ideas anyone??

2. MalcyB

MalcyB Active Member

I got one of those... It's pants.
    Just use the battery for the radio now.

3. joinerjon83

joinerjon83 New Member

Well i bought cheap imitation ones for my radio.. my proper makita batteries are just used in my impact driver and combi drill.. but im paying £50-£60 a time to replace them.. ive replaced the drill and impact driver as well so im thinking of changing to something else... is bosch any good nowadays? Hitachi? Milwaukee??

4. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Sounds like you are simply burning them out. Go back to corded drills, constant power, quarter of the price.

5. joinerjon83

joinerjon83 New Member

Not burning them out.. they work then all of a sudden they wont charge.
    corded no good for site.

6. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

I believe the Bosch Blue cordless range come with a two year guarantee specifically on the batteries in addition to the three year guarantee on the tool itself, as long as you register it online after purchase. Personally I like the Bosch Pro kit, very nice tools to use.

7. Are they the lxt batteries as i know the 18v ones that came before lxt had loads of problems with holding charge etc

8. joinerjon83

joinerjon83 New Member

Hmmm ok ill look into the bosch. I had a bosch drill years ago a 24v beast worked ok and then died suddenly.. changed to makita.. with the ni-cd batteries then moved onto the li-ion.. had the original batteries (pre-lxt) also have newer(star)
    Batteries... just not impressed anymore.. nice kit but batteries really putting me off.

9. Thats a shame i love my makita gear ive never had any problems with mine nor has anyone i work with except for a mate with the pre lxt ones

10. joinerjon83

joinerjon83 New Member

Does that mean youll buy mine then? Ha ha. Maybe i work them too hard but i was led to believe they were heavy duty kit. And i thought the japs were good at technology...

11. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I have all the Dewalt stuff, and find them pretty darn good, there tough and and you can buy body only stuff pretty cheap on Ebay. Just make sure you go for the professional level drills as I think the entry level stuff doesn't look so hot. The new XR batteries hold a lot of power.

12. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I've got dewalts and festool ( no impact option from festool though ) and can't fault them, milwaukee is meant to be good kit too.

mr moose likes this.
  13. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I bought my Dewalt impact driver from a Chinese supplier on Ebay ,use it every day and its still going strong, must have had it for 6 or 7 years!

14. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I'm retired now, so most of my kit is 240v for home use. I still have a Makita 12v NiCd cordless drill for quick jobs. The batteries are getting a bit tired, so I'm looking for a replacement. Can't justify a Festool (I would love one :)) but has anyone got any experience of Metabo?

15. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Thanks Mate. Certainly worth looking at. :)