Changing light fitting - three wires!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by steven56, Aug 26, 2014.

1. steven56

steven56 New Member

Hi

I am just changing the light fitting in my daughters room (changed them in most of the other rooms of the house already) but when I removed the old one it was a connection block. There are three black wires, three red wires, and three earth wires.

They are in three groups of three ie a black, a red and a neutral.

I tried all red to connector all black to connector and light came on but when I used the switch it blew the fuse. Now it blows the fuse whenever the switch is off.

Any ideas would be massively appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

If you don't own a multimeter it's time to get your local paper / parish mag and look up an electricain to call.

If you do own a multimeter and can use it, you need to separate out the switched cable from the other two and wire like this:

(the switch wire black core should really be sleeved red or brown)

[​IMG]

FatHands and steven56 like this.
  3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Join the three red wires together. Keep the black wires separate. The light switch should then make one of the black wires live. This is your switched live which connects to the live of the light fitting.
    Join the other two black wires together. This is your neutral.
    You can test it by using one of those crappy screwdrivers which light up when touching live. Check the screwdriver works by touching the joined reds, then check each black wire. Only one should be live, if not call a sparks.
    Remember to turn off the power unless testing.
    When you find the 'switched live' black wire you can put some red insulation tape round it to identify it.
    Yes I know those light up screwdrivers are **** but they should do the job here.

FatHands and steven56 like this.
  4. steven56

steven56 New Member

Thanks in the end I took the switch off and pulled each wire to see which was connected!