changing locks of front door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by hi2u_uk, Sep 5, 2014.

1. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

The door to my front door of my house has a lock where you need a key to open it if you are on the inside and a key to open it if you are on the outside. This has been highlighted as a fire hazard so I want to change it to one where if you are on the inside then you don’t need to insert a key before you open the door. Does anyone know what the name of this type of lock is ? do screwfix sell it ? Does anyone have a handy picture of it ? and how easy are they to install

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

They are called Thumbturn locks, if it's a euro lock you have then it should not be an issue and is about a 5 minute change. You need to ensure you select the correct length for your door.

Have a google about euro cylinder locks to understand what you need to measure then you tube will have some instructive videos on how to remove one

And yes, screwfix do sell some, but again check length first

3. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

sorry i forgot to add that i dont want to change the actual key that i use as a few other people have the key and its going to be difficult and inconvenient to send them all new keys . Is this possible to change the mechanism and not change the key in use

4. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I don't believe that would be possible, as the thumbturns are not retro fit. Some locks you can have keys in both sides, have you tried if yours can do that. If so, why not just leave the key on the inside all the time, then it's no different from a thumbturn

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

can you post a pic of the lock, euro locks don't tend to lock themselves, you have to turn the key to lock it, so I can't see how this would self lock, needing a key to open from the inside.

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Leaving a key on the inside of most Euro locks will stop a key being used from the outside. Visit a traditional locksmith shop chances are they can supply a thumblock and re-set the tumblers to the spec of your key.
    Here is one of those useless facts you pick up along the way, when making a lock the key is made first, or so I'm told;)

7. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

@phil I suspect he means, last person in at night locks the front door and takes their key away. Fire during the night, can't get the door open until you find the key

8. Need a bigger hammer

Need a bigger hammer Active Member

Whenever we take the key out of our lock, it is put on top of the wainscoting next to the door. We only take the key out if we are going out. Otherwise the key is always in the lock...

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

10. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

11. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

i tried this and its worked twice but like others have said im a bit worried this was a fluke and then i'd be locked out :(

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Sounds a lots easier to get a thumbturn, and pass out new keys.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. Picture would be real help here.

you say the key is needed to open the door both from the outside and inside (open door not unlock) if this is the case, this is likely to be a function of the door and possibly sorted with replacement handle/spindles not the euro lock, all though thumb turn could be way to over come.

Very few doors need key to open from inside but many households lock there doors at night and put the key away somewhere "safe" therefore locking themselves in !! most even lock all the windows and remove the keys !!

14. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

a key is needed to unlock and lock the door from the inside and outside.

15. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

lock pics

Attached Files:

16. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

if you dont use the key then the door will not be locked so anyone outside is able to open the door :(

17. Phil the Paver

Right what you need is a split bar on the handle, it will stop the handle opening the door from the outside without the key, but will allow you to open from the inside.

SS02.JPG

18. split bar was my thinking but some doors don't work with split bar and you need offset handle as the doors have twin spindles.

twin spin.PNG

splitting hairs somewhat but how does locking/not locking a door create a fire risk ? you would have to do it very fast to start a fire !!!.... yes I know escape in case of fire...

19. Phil the Paver

You don't need offset handles and twin bars for a split bar, the system you have shown is totally different, most upvc front doors use a split bar system, where you can't open the door from the outside without a key. ;)

CraigMcK likes this.
  20. Phil, agree but I said SOME doors need offset handles, as you quite rightly point out "most" front doors have split bar system, but most isn't all.