Changing to smaller downlighter

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by RightUR, Dec 19, 2014.

1. RightUR

RightUR New Member

Existing downlighters have 100mm holes and want to fit new fire-rated downlighters requiring 70mm holes.
    Is there some kind of insert that can be used to save re-boarding / skimming / painting

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Look on the Screwfix website for "downlighter converters".

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Been looking at Downlighter converter plates myself,suitable for R50, R63 & R80 downlighters, the plate has a hole for 70mm downlighters & Screwfix don't stock.:(
    Had a quick google for them, & they cost anything from £4:50p upwards.
    So, I decide to board & skimming was the easier option, worked out quite cheap, as plasterboard sheets came off Freecycle, & only had to buy the plaster.
    As for fire rated downlighters, I fitted these superb ones with led lamps, can get them in other finishes,plus eyeball version.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sylvania-fixed-round-mains-voltage-fire-rated-downlight-white-240v/41620

But, I got them from a competitor, as they were £4 cheaper, & needing 10 was a quite a saving.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Screwfix, 78147

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That the complete fitting with the plate, you can get seperate downlighter converter plates.
    Also it's the horrible 12v MR16 fitting, plus you need a transformer, I prefer to use a mains GU10 fitting myself.

6. RightUR

RightUR New Member

Thanks for all the advice. Yes, I agree with KIAB. I prefer the GU10 fittings.
    Screw Fix is surely missing a trick by not selling these converter plates separately.
    KIAB - Can you tell me where you can get these converter plates as I can't find them?

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

8. RightUR

RightUR New Member

Perfect. Many thanks!