Chase back box Socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tore81, Aug 23, 2016.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I wish to chase out for a steel back box. As the wall isn't that thick 110mm. I was thinking of using a 16mm.

Is that sufficient for 2.5mm or is best to use a 25mm. It's going to be the last socket on a radial. So not much room needed.

2. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

25mm or 35mm if using flat plate sockets never seen 16mm socket back box

tore81 likes this.
  3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Ok thanks

Just was wandering as the wall is only 110mm thick with a beam so supporting. but that's should be fine. Probably being over cautious.

4. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Building Regs say you can chase out 1/3 depth for vertical chases and 1/6 for horizontal chases
    So in your case you could use a 35 mm deep box
    Just remember you dont need to go that deep because you'll have at least 15 mm of plaster board or plaster depth depending on how its finished

tore81 likes this.
  5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

16mm are for light switches, typically known as plaster depth boxes. No good for sockets. A 110mm tick wall is perfectly normal.

tore81 likes this.
  6. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks TPN good bit of knowledge there.

I'm guessing it is a block with plaster. I will drill holes to the depth 25mm like a pepperpot.

Then chisel out I'm drilling through then trunking the other side so need to chase a vertical just a back box

7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks elec I'll crack on

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

You don't have to chisel those type of blocks (Celcon etc) with great force, a lot of it can be done with a scraping motion and with chisel pointing downwards to avoid shaking the blocks - if the blocks shake then possible friability factors could manifest.

Make sure you wear eye protection Tore.

tore81 likes this.
  9. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks JP

10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

So I have managed to get the depth of the chase right but I have gone a bit tight on the sides.

I have a multi tool is there a blade that will chase stone brick mortar. Or do I need a grinder as I don't have one.

11. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

If there the soft celcon type block you could use a course blade but be warned there wont be much left of the blade when your finished mate, or just scrape out the block like JP said.
    Personally I use a Scutching chisel don't take long to take out bricks with one of those Ive seen em on E-bay for less than a tenner.

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Yes agree TP a scutching chisel with lightish club hammer is brilliant

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could use a plugging chisel for chopping out the mortar joints.
    Do peeps still use them today...:rolleyes:

Grinder makes too much dust.

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As I'm DIY, can't confess to chopping in hundreds of boxes but have done a few in various wall types

As above, have chopped out too tight, trying to be neat and minimise making good. It's often the corners right at the back that slope inwards as haven't kept the hole square. Also like the scutch chisel but find for chipping a little more brick out the back / corners, a scutch hammer is a great tool